I am having pain issues 5 months out of uni.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 5 months out from partial knee replacement.  I have pain in the morning when I try to move my knee after waking up.  I have pain getting up from a seated position.  I feel and hear a clicking sound when I walk.  When I look down at my feet, my leg from the knee down looks like it is on crooked...reminds me of someone who is knock-kneed.  I did not have that prior to surgery.  When I asked the surgeon he told me it is not crooked and that I have looked at it damaged for so long, but now it is right.  He tells me I only had a uni and I shouldn’t be having all this pain.  I was very active prior to surgery, now I am in pai. When I swim, walk and ride my bike.  Ugh!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear Sue. I think I am just like you. I had a medial partial on June 20th this year so just coming up to five months. I was bow legged before the surgery and can now see a distinct improvement in one leg  (the other one is still bowed and needs doing). However, I too was very active before surgery, swimming 100 lengths at a time have to say although I walked two or three miles a day I was in a lot of pain due to bone on bone. After surgery- I am still in a lot of pain after walking say for half an hour. Stiff after sitting, can't do stairs properly and diligently do my strengthening exercises every day. 

It it is very upsetting when the surgeons make light of a partial, basically they haven't got a clue, they are assuming that because we still have half our own knee it will be less painful. My surgeon said the same. I think that perhaps the recovery time should be less as they cut less muscle but it is only theoretical assumption. Unless the same person had the two operations full and partial on the same knee there is no way of telling.

i know I'm not very helpful, just venting like you! Very disappointed with the outcome so far.

• Posted

Tricia,

It just really helps to know someone else is experiencing the  same frustrations. 

I am going to continue doing my exercises, walking (using the same brace I used before surgery) and riding my bike.  I am thinking about making an appt with a different ortho doc after the first of the year and have it evaluated.  My PT suggested possibly having a cortisone shot.

Vent to me anytime🙃🙃

• Posted

Hi Sue

You just need more time , I had partial May 2016. At 5 months I was still in pain at times and iced and elevated a lot .  Even now I can get some issues if I over do it . 

As for the way your keg l

• Posted

Sorry it keeps sending ! I was trying to say that as far as the leg goes I became very knocked kneed and leg is  straight  which I am very happy about .   I bet maybe your over looking at it ? Make sense ? Sometimes I think mine looks funny but then I say “no” I’m over thinking it ! Be happy I can walk again .

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Debbie

I think I feel a little better after reading your answer. Like Sue I too am five months past a partial and still get a lot of pain if I walk any pace faster than slow! Stairs are very difficult too. I'm busy doing strengthening exercises daily and keep wondering if I'm not doing enough one day or too much the next. I look for any reason I have a pain, thinking it's my fault and I should be better. I was very active until eighteen months ago when bone on bone was too painful. I long to be able to do long walks again. Is there hope?

Tricia

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

Thank you so much for your response.  Every time I look down at my leg it looks like it is going left and my knee isn’t turning right!  I am going to hold onto what you said and hope it is on straight.  Thank you!

Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue

I learned from this forum to Pay very close attention to how I am walking. We get so out of  proper alignment -walking correctly prior do to the bad knee that we literally have to start over and learn to walk correctly . That was my case for sure .  It takes so long to fully recover and not sure if you ever now when that is . This I know , I am so happy with new knee. 

Debbie 

• Posted

Hi Tricia 

I  was a runner prior . I had to learn and accept that I had to slow it all down . I kept trying to push my new knee to perfection very quickly and ended up with swelling and pain  a lot . I don’t think I walk far until a good 8 months . I had to work right away so that took a lot of my energy .  I continued to ice and rest for many many months  and didn’t do strength exercises at all . That was me , eveyone is different.If you have pain and swelling slow it down . Take a break , skip a day or two and try again . Your diligence and desire to move ahead will pay off eventually i promise ! I used stationary bike a lot and did weights for upper body at same time .  And continued with heel slides and few other exercises I was given by Doc to do . 

Hang in there you are doing great ! Positive attitude is key 😉

Debbie

• Posted

Its very normal to still have some pain. I am now 8 months post op and hardly get any but it just takes time. Clicking is also now hardly ever, but used to be much more.

• Posted

Jenny,

So glad to hear the clicking has slowed down for you.  I don’t have it all the time so I am hoping it   will subside .  Glad to hear you aren’t having lots  of  pain...am hoping that is the case for me.

Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.