I am just about 6wks post op TKR and my whole leg is so swollen it is hard to bend.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I know the swelling and tightness is normal, but on the outside of my operated knee it is very hard. Does anyone else have a hard solid area on the side of their knee? It becomes quite painful at times and although I have physio and I do excersices at home, my knee nearly always feels like it is in a vice. The pain is not as bad as a few weeks ago but I can still only get a 90 bend on it. I am getting very frustrated and feel so weary with it all.

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don't worry.  I am 12 weeks post op and i still get the vice/tight band feeling, although less often.

My bend isn't great either - probably 95 degrees.  My physio isn't at all concerned and says the bend will improve for at least a year.  So frustrating though when you work hard on exercises each week and there is little improvement.

• Posted

I know this sounds awful, but I am so glad that you are in the same position as me lol! Seriously though, I have been worried that I can't bend more than 90 degrees because of this swelling and tightness, and it is good to know that I'm not alone in this. Thanks so much for your reply Lyn.  Best wishes to you.
  • Posted

I have a hard round area on the side  of my knee . It's quite strange as the area is all fairly numb .. The vice feeling should ease off soon I am 9 weeks now , and although  I still get a pulling around the scar area , when I bend after being straight for a while , that tight feeling has gone . I can do 115 bend and get it virtually straight now.  Just keep on bending , bend through the pain . I only do it a few times a day and keep icing to get that swelling down . You will get there 
    • Posted

Thanks Pam. The round hard area you mention is the same as mine and it is also numb. I am happy that it's not something wrong with my knee - I have been thinking that it shouldn't be like that. Obviously, it is yet another by product of this living hell known as TKR!! I will persever with the bend - I intend to be at least 100 degree by 10 week. Thanks again for putting my mind at ease.
    • Posted

Hi there love your comment on the living hell of TKR. That's exactly how I feel about it. I doo so regret having it done. I don't think we are alone on feeling like this. I am 6weeks post op tomorrow and can not really see an end in sight for me. Take care
    • Posted

Don't despair, Tucks. I felt I hit a plateau for a few weeks around 6 weeks but this week (week 8) I really am beginning to see an improvement and am feeling a bit brighter in myself as a result. So hang on in there. This op has got to be worth it.

Jen x

• Posted

Hi Tucks, 

I so totally agree with you! I am 5 weeks post op tomorrow and at this stage in recovery wish I'd never had it done!!

I really hope I change my mind over the next few months as everyone tells me I will?

But for the time being I am fed up with my knee totally taking over my life!! It's all I can think about, fed up with the pain, can't get comfortable at all, fed up with the stiffness and swelling. Fed up of waking in the night with pain!!

Sorry for the moan, having a bad day today!!!

• Posted

I also regret having it done then my family all say "remember how bad it was before. You could hardly walk and couldn't sleep". Yes they are right but as we all now know it is the most painful thing to go through! Tucks, I think we have just got to believe it is going to get better and all this pain will be a distant memory!!? I can't wait!! Lots of love and best wishes.
    • Posted

Please let me reassure you that things will improve.

At week 10 I was in floods of tears with my Physiotherapist.  I felt I had hit a brick wall, had lost my place in the family of being 'Mum' , the one everyone else relied on, would never feel 'right' again - all the things, and more, we all feel.

Now at 12 weeks I have turned a corner.  Walking better, more in control of my life and feeling able to make a trip to the USA to visit my daughter.

Couldn't have imagined any of this a couple of weeks ago.

So, my message is stick with it.  At the beginning I felt I'd made a huge mistake having this most difficult operation.  We MUST accept that progress is frustratingly slow, but week by week (NOT day by day) you WILL improve and get your life back.

• Posted

I remember feeling exactly like you at the same stage. That feeling went on for a few weeks but I really feel better this week (8) so don't give up.

Jen x

• Posted

I can identify with those feelings of inadequacy within the family. I've felt lost not being able to pick up my grandchildren and help out as I've always done. As I'm beginning to feel a bit better I'm looking forward to doing those things again soon. Enjoy your trip to USA. 

Jen x

• Posted

Hi,

Its sooo tough, very easy ro regret having it done I don't think unless you've been through it that you can appreciate how devastating the affect of this op can be, physically and emotionally. I'm 13 weeks now and still have good and bad days. Progress is really slow but you will get there , , , , honest. Hope tomorrow is a better day, all the best

Debx

• Posted

Thank you Lynn, I'm just having a feeling sorry for myself moment!!

i have seen some improvements already! I do appreciate your advice and I'm sure like you say I will improve slowly.xxx

• Posted

Thank you Deb, it's so good to hear from someone who has felt like I do now, and has gone on to be glad they had it done!!

I do appreciate you replying, thank you.xx

• Posted

Poor you these days are really hard to get through. My knee very sore this morning and I'm feeling really down again. I do get the odd days when I think I am in the mend but then back to square one. I do wonder at my wisdom in having this op at my age because its sapping the life out of me. Nice to be able to have a moan to someone just take some deep breaths and let all that frustration. I have just thrown my phone on the floor, and other things may be following it lol love xx
    • Posted

Hi Tucks, don't beat yourself up, rest up today, maybe you had a busy day yesterday and your knee is objecting. Tomorrow is likely to be different, and if it helps moan away. Steer clear of the crystal if you're in a throwing mood! DebxDebx
    • Posted

Hi debs .  Had a good cry and even a better moan, so had the best shower I could manage, bit the bullet , got into the car and went for a small drive. Absolutely no problems at all, no protestations from said knee and managed to walk at least 200yards without stick. Feel so good now I know driving is not going to be a problem. What a rollercoasterof a journey we have all undertaken. So nice to be able to talk to you debs take care love from tucks x
    • Posted

Well done Tucks, great effort on the walking, I'm nowhere near going that far unaided and I'm 13 weeks now, doesn't help that my other knee is shot but you should be proud of yourself. Good days, bad days and sometimes a bit of each, take care luv

Debx

• Posted

Hi Debs and Tucks, good to hear your comments. So pleased you achieved the driving and long walk, Tucks. I was feeling down again this morning. Felt so much better the last few days but today the leg was really stiff and tight again! Why oh why can't it be a steady improvement not this one day good next day bad? Can see I'm not alone in this from your comments,Deb. It's no easy ride is it? Hope you find being able to get out independently will help you Tucks. I've found driving ok too and nice not to be dependent on others. Take care, both.

Jen x

• Posted

Ahh Tucks, it sounds like your turn today to be fed up!! Seems we all keep having days like this every so often?

I've had a better day today. I had a good cry yesterday feeling sorry for myself. I realised I am not helping myself by just sitting around the house all day? I asked my partner to take me out today, so we had a little drive and went and had a nice lunch together , yes it hurt and was a struggle getting in and out the car, and I'm back at home now with my ice pack on my knee!!

But it's done me good!! 

I think being bored at home doing the same thing everyday,makes me think about my pain and discomfort more?

Are you getting out at all Tucks?

I am having my hair done tomorrow, not looking forward to sitting in a hairdressers for 2 hours having highlights but I'm sure it will be worth it? I've got my grandsons Christening Sunday, I'm sure that will be a struggle but I intend to enjoy it!! Crutches or no crutches!!

Take care! x

• Posted

Hi there you are so right about sitting at home brooding I'm so fed up at looking at 4walls. My daughter in law has taken me out ,shopping and to docs and my son fetches me for lunch on Sundays. Otherwise I've not been out socially. I am having my hair done next week so that will be good. How lovely to be going to your grandsons christening it will be a boost for you.i have my granddaughters wedding to look forward to on 1st nov. she rings me every day bless her. My grandson is an actor and at the moment he is rehearsing for Henry 5th he is playing Henry 5th which is a great achievement for him. It is at a London theatre and normally I would be going down with his mom and dad and making a weekend of it. But I am just not physically able at this time.its so lovely to be able to talk like this. It's. the immobility of this op that's a killer. You are just home based when you desperately need your social life to be back to normal have a lovely christening my friend and take care love from tucks x
    • Posted

No it's not Jen. I've been out on 1 crutch today and it doesn't feel like it's getting any easier. Have tried unaided inside the house all week but the outside is still a challenge for me to say the least. Have tried the car and it feels good to drive again but it's always coupled with how will I manage when I get where I'm going. Need to face the supermarket soon, daunting and I know that sounds pathetic but I just don't feel physically up to trawling up and down the aisles, need to get a grip. Hope your afternoon has improved Jen, all the best

Debx

• Posted

The first time I did the supermarket , I used one of the motorised scooters .you do have to get off to reach somethings , but I did feel as though I was doing something useful lol. I hope you soon feel better 
    • Posted

I've been out to shops this afternoon. Glad to get home and ice up! Went to Tesco earlier in the week for first time on my own. It's not too bad using the trolley to lean on. I did scan & shop which saved all the loading and standing at the checkout. I didn't buy too much mind. I think we've got to make ourselves do things but the key is not to overdo it. Good luck, Debs.

Jen x

• Posted

Thanks Jen and Pam, will bite the bullet tomorrow, sick of living out of the freezer anyway. Not sure they have a motorised scooter at my nearest supermarket, have seen the odd wheelchair but you definitely need some upper body strength for that. Will try a lean on a trolley methinks, thanks again ladies you're gems x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.