I am just about 6wks post op TKR and my whole leg is so swollen it is hard to bend.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I know the swelling and tightness is normal, but on the outside of my operated knee it is very hard. Does anyone else have a hard solid area on the side of their knee? It becomes quite painful at times and although I have physio and I do excersices at home, my knee nearly always feels like it is in a vice. The pain is not as bad as a few weeks ago but I can still only get a 90 bend on it. I am getting very frustrated and feel so weary with it all.

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ruby, I'm 13 weeks post op and if you've got 90 at 6 weeks you're doing well. As the swelling subsides the bend will increase. I sat on a table and swung my leg gently and the momentum helped get a better bend, you could try that when you're ready. As for the weariness, I still feel that way some days. Bit of a roller coaster, but good to know its normal for this very traumatic operation. Keep on with the exercises, they do pay off, all the best

Debx

• Posted

Thank you Deb, I will definitely try that one. Anything that helps is ok with me! My physio seemed a bit concerned that my bend hasn't increased for three weeks but I am convinced its due to the severe swelling. I will just have to do as all TKR patients do and keep plugging at it.  Thanks for the encouragement. It really does help. All the best.
    • Posted

Hi Ruby, as everyone says what you're experiencing is quite normal. I'm 8 weeks post op and still get the tightness but it is getting better. I've also got a hard bit at the side of my knee which is quite numb. The other side is really sensitive especially when bedclothes rub it. Apparently massaging the area is good to desensitise it. They never give me a measurement of my bend at physio but I can tell it is improving. Though it's still not like the other leg! Keeping up the exercises is all we can do I think. I do one placing bad leg on 2nd stair, bending in as far as I can, then pulling leg back straight with heel still on stair. Ice helps with swelling and elevating leg on pillows. I feel for the first time this week that things are beginning to improve  so hang on in there.

Jen 

• Posted

I had similiar problems and ended up with a manipulation so I could bend it 
  • Posted

Hi Ruby and everyone else who has posted on your issue.

Swelling is the main problem it sounds you have, as yes, you won't get the bend you are after if your leg is very swollen. It just can't happen. I've had two years worth of drama with having had a bilateral TKR done in Aug 2012. Look for my first post in this forum for the full run down. The last TKR was done at the end of May and was a complete revision by taking the first TKR implant out, and putting a very different one in, which has long grooved metal spikes hammered up into the thigh bone marrow, and another hammered into the lower leg bone marrow. Yes, it was a very long difficult procedure for the surgeons. Pain, yes, swelling yes, so to begin with, I only had a 90 deg bend when I left hospital 5 days after the op. The swelling increased in the next couple of weeks, but I iced it regularly, kept the leg as elevated as possible for as long as possible, and ensured it was higher than my heart when in bed overnight, by placing it on pillows and a folded up quilt. With the swelling at its least in the morning, I would do my first lot of exercises then, and the bend increased each week. I now have 120+ (depends on swelling) bend, and that matches the left leg which was done and successful on the first op. in Aug 2012. both knees have the hard numb bit o the outer side of the knee, it's just getting to be less numb on the left knee, two years later....

I had a lot of problems with the right knee, but this last op looks like we've now got it right, and I'm improving my walking gait every day. It's been a long hard road, and it won't be finished for probably another 6 months to 12 months for this right knee, but if it turns out as good as the left one, I shall be too happy to worry what I've been through to get there smile. So, Hang in there, it's not a quick fix, but surely the surgeon warned you of that? It's 6mths of hard yakka, and 6mths of strengthening and using it....Good luck, you WILL get there....

• Posted

Could you ALL bend your bend your knees before TKR?I can bend both knees and not that painful when I bend...I have the worst in right knee which is hip replacement side, which has affected knee and foot/akle.

I understand when they do these knees, everything is gutted....

If one can bend knees before, that means there is cartlidge there, after surgery all cartlidge is gone....

Does this make any sense?

• Posted

I could still bend my knee but with real pain. I had no cartledge in my knee before the op . It was bone on bone . All that is removed now with a new moving joint replacing it . That should always move , it is the scarring and swelling ot tissue around it that causes the pain and stops you bending .you have to work through the pain , and it hurts but otherwise it will stay stiff. Well that's my feeling on it !! Lol 
    • Posted

I was told by my consultant about the pain and swelling so I did have an idea what to expect. I could also bend my knee before the op but with a lot of pain but could not straighten it very much. Mine was also bone on bone so the new joint can only be an improvement (I have to believe that!). I just get so frustrated with the swelling (6inches larger than my other leg) and the tightness which is about 99% of the time. I really thank everyone for sharing their experiences and encouragement, it means so much. I will keep at it and wish you all good luck in your recovery.  All the best to you all.
  • Posted

Hi there so sorry about you knee. I am 6weeks post op tomorrow. My leg is stiff but I can bend already to 107 and my flexions is over 100. I saw my pysio yesterday for the second session and he has discharged me. Your knee sounds as if it needs looking at I can touch the outside of my knees no problem, you could have a bit of an infection there. It's soal destroying to have to put up with it every day and there really should have been some improvement by now.my heart goes out to you and I would urge you to get it looked at. Take yourself up to A and E if nessecary at least it will put your mind at ease. Take care I will be thinking about you x
    • Posted

Hi Tucks.  There has been improvement in as much as I can walk without the crutches or stick and am getting around so much better.  However, it is the bending and tightness which are getting me down. I excersice and ice mostly 3 times a day and after excersising I can bend and flex quite a bit. But then it tightens up and stays like that until I excercise again! I will get it checked out incase of infection etc but as it is not inflamed or hot, I don't think it is.  I will keep you informed. Thanks for your concern and encouragement. I am pleased that you are doing so well. Keep it up.
  • Posted

Hi Ruby, that's very much how it is . The exercise will loosen it up and it will stiffen up in between . Even now after I have been sitting with my leg down it hurts just for a minute to straighten it . The same after I have been walking a while and go to sit back in the car it feels as though I will burst the scar lol . It is getting better daily now . I manage to walk without any sticks . But if I find I am limping I go back to a stick . I can walk very straight with one stick and limping can become a habit . Don't be in to much of a hurry to throw away sticks while it is still swelling so much. You will get there just give it time xx
    • Posted

Maybe that's my problem, Pam. I am perhaps trying to rush things. I have physio tomorrow and the therapist has told me in the past that I should not  over do things. Not sure though how I know when I have over done it as it doesn't swell up or tighten up more as it's like that all the time anyway!

i will try to not get so stressed about the bend not increasing though. I will take my time now and just take each day as it comes. Xx

• Posted

That's your best bet Ruby, lower your expectations and take it one day at a time. Be kind to yourself and if your knee objects give it some slack, tomorrow is another day , , , , the bend will come , , , honest

x

• Posted

I HOPE you all are so improved a year out....

Ortho docs have a favorite mantra "bone on bone".....I've heard it but I bend my knee and use supplements as I can't bear to go thru a knee surgery.... As long as one can BEND, there is cartlidge there and yes with pain.....

But now all cartlidge is gone, gutted out....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.