I am scared

Posted , 9 users are following.

Never took any anxiety meds before I am getting ready to take celexa for the first time any advice thank you

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, its normal to be afraid of starting the meds, in fact I hid the packet for two weeks before actually starting them (bad idea). we are all different to how we react to meds but its scarier when youre already anxious and it means we then overthink EVERYTHING. Just think that taking that first tablet is the start of your recovery. Its not a quick thing but you will get there. Dont go crazy looking at google just use forums like this as the support is great and we have all been there.

• Posted

Can only agree with everything Sarah said especially about using Google. This forum really helped me. I've said it before but its worth saying again. This forum is filled with lovely people who will really understand what's it's like and will support you.

• Posted

I agree with everything said in the other replies. It is scary. Can somebody understanding be with you when you take that first one? I found that helped me. These feelings of apprehension are all normal - you're not alone. Good luck. Sending you courageous wishes.

• Posted

We all react differently to meds and I'm not trying to scare you saying this but it's good to know what's happening to you if it happens... the meds can sometimes make you worse before they help you get better. This was the case with me I was a wreck... I'm doing a lot better now but still have daily struggles with anxiety and intrusive thoughts. 2017 was when I started going down hill so I'm 2 years into my illness. I'd say I've been in recovery the past year but still have a long way to go. Unfortunately for things like depression and anxiety their is no quick fix. It can take years to recover so I keep being told but apparently we eventually get better. Sorry this post isn't more positive but I was thankful of the truth at the beginning. It helped me come to terms with the fact I have an illness and the only way to get better is to fight through it. You can't hide from it, you can't run from it, you can't ignore it trust me I've tried everything. You have to face it!! Face the fear that anxiety causes and eventually it will lose it's grip on you. That's what I'm doing... I have social anxiety so I push myself to go out in public and go places that scare me and slowly I'm starting to be able to do more with out fear. It's called exposure therapy. What anxiety do you have? Anyway I hope the meds work out for you but be aware they take time to work. At least 6 weeks. Mine took a good 3 month before I started to notice positives.

Inbox me if u need to chat. Realisticly!!

Leanne.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the truth I have all types of anxiety most of the time I am in a Fogg I hate being alone but I dont want anyone around lol chest hurts all the time but no problem with my heart lol I just had a turmar removed from my adreanal gland it helped with my anxiety but still have a lot I have no engery at all even with sleep I am tired all day lol

• Posted

hi shaun, the pain in your chest is one of the symtoms of anxiety, sleepy or hyper is another, you should definitely take this med as it helped alot of people on this forum, help and advice is always here for you while taking citalopram, you have a choice to feel better in time, or prolonge taking the meds and isolating yourself, but remember this med is slow working so don't expect much for a while and in time you'll understand how amazing they are, the people on here saved me going through it myself, this was 3 years ago, what mg are you starting on?

• Posted

Thank you so much i am on 20mg but my dr told me I can cut it in have

• Posted

Hi Shawn ,we have all been there and we know what it is like .Remember too take meds at the same time ,also that the meds may take quite a few weeks for the citrolopram too work in your system .If you have any problems that ask on this page ,and we will try too help you.

• Posted

hi, I know exactly how you feel. I was worried about being on medication too. I tried to ficus on health and nutrition, viatamins and supplements.... but it just wasn't helping. I ended up with celexa and I knew from padt experience that it would be several weeks of symptoms from my body getting use to it. It seemed like forever but in reality it was about 12 weeks. What kept me going was this forum! I also relied on lorazapam 1x per day to help until celexa kicked in. I was so worried about taking that because it could potentially be addictive. But boy did that help. And I probably bugged the heck out of everyone with my posts! Lois in this formum really helped reassure me.

YOU CAN DO IT... I Am perfectly fine now.

• Posted

What side effects did you have I drive a truck will I still be able to do that with the side effects

• Posted

Hi Shawn. Everyone reacts to the meds differently. You will certainly experience side effects. I know when I started, there was no way I could drive a semi, much less leave the house the first week. I was a mess. Not trying to discourage you, just being honest with you. This forum will help you greatly. Try seeing a psychotherapist also. Really helps me. You will need a good support system whether its your spouse, friends, or family. You're not alone on the journey.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.