I am scheduled for Urolift and I'm terrified

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am scheduled for the urolift with dr Gonzales in Houston. I really like this docfor. I am so nervous about it because of the possible side effects and I suffer from prostititus often. My prostate is slightly enlarged but I cant take flomax any more. My prostate seems worse after sex. It bothers me all the next day. My doctor says I am the perfect candidate for this surgury. Any advice I would appreciate. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Have you considered a prostatitic artery embolization (PAE)?  There are no reported sexual/incontinence side effects with the procedure.
    • Posted

I have not heard of this procedure. I am researching for a doctor in the Hiuston area but cannot find one. Would you happen to know if there are any doctors in Houston or the United States? Thanks
    • Posted

Dr Bagla at Inova in Alexandria, Virginia performs it.  It's also available at RIA Endovascular in Denver.  If you're up for flying, you can get it in Lisbon, Portugal from Dr Pisco.  He's done over 800 of ther procedures and his price is the cheapest at around $5k.
    • Posted

I just sent you a link via private message to Dr Pisco's site where you can read more about PAE.
  • Posted

hello Phil,

i'm looking for a good Uro in Houston.. i'm interested in the Holep procedure

could you please provide the contact information on Dr Gonzales

thank you

Robbie 

• Posted

Hello Robbie,

I don't think Dr Gonzales does the HOlep procedure. He has told me he has done over 1000 green laser procedures. He also does the Urolift although it is a fairly new procedure for him.

Houston Methodist Urology

Dr. Ricardo Gonzales

6560 Fannin Street

Houston, Tx 77030

713-790-9779

I have had urologist before and this doctor has great bedside manner. He has seems very knowledgeable. He may be able to direct you to another Physician who performs the holep.

Wish you the best

Phil

• Posted

It has been 1 week and 1 day since my surgey for Urolift.

My stream is stronger and I don't get the feeling I am not emptying my bladder.

It is painful to urinate after the surgery but every day it gets better. To give you an idea they gave me a bottel of tylenol with hydrocordisone but I haven't touched it. Some days I take two extra strength tylenol 2 times a day.

They say it takes 1 to 4 weeks to feel 100%.

I had a second opinion from another doctor who basically said: "this is good news". Think about it, they will open up a cllosure which is giving you trouble urinating. The procedure is minimum invasive, can be reversed if it doesn't work. No cutting or burning. And my doctor said it works 99.9% of the time even though that is not the published statitics.

Dr Ghin ,one of the inventors says it works 92% of the time.

So if you look at the risks and cost/benefits I think you should not be nervous. You will however feel uncomfortable for a while but you already feel uncomfortable now.

I have not stopped from doing anything (except any excercise or lifting anything) I have gone to sport events and out to dinner , etc..

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I had read of one patient having trouble with the Urolift and became nervous. Your experience is good news. I want to be off the flomax and its side effects. I know I have a good doctor..

I appreciate your encouragement. Thank you

• Posted

I am not off the meds we will try that little by little after I feel well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.