I am still in the land of the living

Posted , 13 users are following.

Well, I made it thru yesterday (full left knee replacement). When I got to my room, took a brief nap and PT woke me up to begin walking and several other exercises( no problem). This evening is another chapter, went down to PT, meds before, iced when I came back but terrible pain, just got more meds and trying to get some sleep. I WILL GET THRU THIS ONE HOUR AT A TIME 😂

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm impressed that  you are coherent enough to post. It took me weeks before I could put two words together coherently. Keep positive and keep posting

• Posted

Hi bless you its early days yet do take it 1 hour at s time and don't hold back on the meds for the first 4 weeks the physio is a nightmare BUT I always felt better for it coz the scar tissue wasn't allowed to build up whuch will be a problem if left to build up little and often was my motto And don't forget the bags of peas I did it morning noon and night when the pain was bad Keep your spirits up cos you will come out from the dark side good luck you're one if us now I had mine done 9 months ago and I'm waiting to get my other knee done in a few weeks time ?????

• Posted

Dilaudid IV, and X A N A X....😆 Do the trick 

• Posted

You will get through this! Just FYI it takes a long time so be patient with yourself. The worst is behind you ~ now recovery begins. This site has so many helpful people! 

Best wishes 😘

• Posted

You will!

Yes, now is not the time to be shy of medication...

Are they looking after you well?

Then pain kind of dawn's but once under control, it can stay that way, and you then listen to your body and respect the healing process and it will be fine.

Good healing to you!

• Posted

WELCOME TO THE KNEE REPLACEMENT CLUB!! 

Sounds like you're doing well. Just keep on top of the pain, keep your knee moving and get plenty of rest X 

• Posted

Hi I'm on the waiting list to go into hospital for my second knee replacement ( this time on an old knee operation Yes! I'm scared & nervous and hoping it's as good as my last two years ago. I was up and out of bed within two hours just felt tired hardly any pain because l  accepted all medication offered. The Pysio work you hard just keep applying the ice and do everything they say even when you return home Work hard! I wasn't able to bend my knee much above 90 deg It didn't bend much before the operation so they weren't worried I just worked at it The best operation ever the pain was nothing compared to the years l suffered now it was in the bin So good luck to you  and in the future Get plenty of ice and bags of peas in the freezer and don't sit down keep moving even if it's just a short walk across the room Good Luck  

• Posted

Patience, if you weren't blessed with them, you will learn out of necessity. Slow & steady and you'll get it whipped. In 3 weeks you'll be wondering how you e we made it through the 1st week

• Posted

Hi Netta!

Glad to hear all went well!😄 Your body is busy healing, so TRY to rest as much as you can. Get ready for some ups and downs which are normal for this knee replacement experience. Think positive thoughts which helps get your endorphins flowing. This helps with pain and keeps you thinking about progress that you are making rather than problems you may be having.

Come here often for support and also to share with others who may also have just had their surgery.

Sending prayers of strength, patience, and calm to you tonight!??

• Posted

Hi Nette, Congrats on your tkr. I am into my 15th week. I regret one thing, not keeping a journal. If you can write every single day that way you can look back and realize progress you are making. The Dr did warn me that after a few days to expect pain after all the nerve blocks wear off. I was glad he warned me and the nurses did handle it fine. Good luck to you in your recovery. And don’t forget the journal.
  • Posted

Hi Netta, welcome. This forum is going to be like your daily journal. We are all in the same boat but in different places on a sometimes turbulent ocean ! This will see you through and keep you sane. Keep positive as others have advised, don't let the dark moods decend because you think you should be progressing faster than you are, I went really down around 6/7 weeks because I was expecting too much of myself, looking back now though, 6 weeks was way too early too judge my performance. There are some who walk without aids at two weeks, driving at 3 and probably doing the cha cha by four !!! Ignore these, they are in the minority. Good luck and keep posting x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.