I am terrified

Posted , 2 users are following.

Last week I discovered a lump on my upper left gum near the back. It was the same colour as my gum but nearly two days ago it changed to red. I also noticed that I have a red line above some of my teeth. I am in no pain. 

I am absolutely terrified that I have mouth cancer. I am 20 years old and I have never smoked and I don't drink. I have to admit that my teeth aren't the best. Could it be cancer or am I overthinking it?

I am booking a dentist appointment as soon as they open tomorrow. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

As a 20 yr non-smoker/drinker I'd think you're very unlikely to have anything like oral cancer. The fact that the lump came up suddenly, turned red and there are red lines sounds exactly like an abscess. You will certainly need to see a dentist though as it will need sorting out before it starts to hurt

• Posted

I am extremely anxious about going to the dentist but I completely understand that I do need to go. 

I will be making a phone call as soon as they open. 

• Posted

Hope you feel better soon. I'm sure it won't be anything like as bad as you think.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.