I am terrified of getting a heart attack

Posted , 4 users are following.

19 year old female with 5 year history of eating disorder, recently anorexia, and excessive workout.

Stopped due to  chest, arm and jaw pain that made me think I was going to have a heart attack. Lived in fear for 5 months and then Went to cardiologist and he said everything was fine

I am still afraid. I am afraid to die in my sleep. I know we all are going to die, but I just wish my time doesn’t end here 

(4:14AM one of those nights where I can’t sleep due to arm pain and my thoughts...perhaps my mind playing tricks...perhaps not??)

Keep in mind I’ve never been afraid of dying until these symptoms that mimic heart attack came

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you have health anxiety regarding heart issues. I have had panic/anxiety attacks where I had such bad chest pains for days, arm felt numb and tingly, felt like it was hard to breath. I went to Dr and had an EKG done and they confirmed everything was fine and it was just my anxiety.

It can't hurt to see a Dr just in case, but I would bet you have more of an irrational fear of dying that's giving you anxiety and you are getting these symptoms from the anxiety. I highly suggest seeing a therapist, I started and it helps a lot. They can help you rationalize and also understand why you worry about the things you do.

Keep in mind also - it is amazing what your mind can do to your body physically. My friend is an EMT and she said you wouldn't believe the amount of 911 calls for heart attacks that end up being just anxiety attacks. That shows you how severe anxiety symptoms can get.

But the important thing to remember is that even if you feel like you're dying, you aren't. And even if you feel like you have heart issues, etc - as long as you go to Dr and have it checked then you know you are fine and it is just the anxiety. And from there you should see help from a therapist or consider temporary medication to help get your mind right.

• Posted

Im the same. Its ruined my life for 9 months. My heart races straight away i think heart attack, my chest hurts straight away i think heart attack, my arm hurts again i think heart attack. Everyday i have irrational thoughts about dying, or me having a heart attack while driving alone with my son in the car. I've had around 8 ECGS, 1 cat scan and 6 blood tests and a proffesor tell me my heart is fine and i still think they have missed something.

• Posted

19 year olds dont get heart attacks... you're fine... i would bet a billion dollars on you, if i had a billon dolars

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.