I am traumatised for life!

Posted , 2 users are following.

:shock: I had to go in for a colonoscopy mid December and it was a nightmare!! My doc thinks I suffer from IBS but wanted me to get a thorough check and even though the consultant agreed with the doc he wanted me to get one \"just in case\" I agreed... more fool me! I gave him my medical history and an appointment was made. I was kept waiting for an hour after my appointment time but all of the staff we lovley and very reassuring. Even though the consultant had taken all of my history the nurse who was performing the proceedure new nothing about a previous operation I had had, which was an important issue as it actually affected the colonoscopy, as the nurse stated that it made the proceedure a little more difficult AND more painful. During the consultation I was not offered any pain relief even though he knew (or should have known) that it was going to be harder to perform! As you can imagine I was mortified when I found this out and even though I tried my best to relax I could not take the pain and it took 3 of them to hold me down as I screamed my head off for them to stop, which they eventually did. They had managed to get so far and told me that they had not seen ANYTHING, they did not have a clue what they were looking for as they did not have much to go on from my notes. My colonoscopy was just a precaution but as the consultant had requested it, they wanted me to make another appointment but this time WITH sedation which I have just had through the post but there is no way I am going back even with sedation as I am now too scared to go back there. It was a NIGHTMARE. So if you are thinking about getting one then PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure you get sedation and ask all the right questions.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh My God! I too am traumatised for life after experiencing an EXTREMELY PAINFUL colonoscopy on Wednesday. The drugs had no effect whatsoever and several times I cried out in pain. Two nurses pressed on my abdomen and shouted at me, prompting me to breathe deeply which I found impossible. I screamed for the doctor to stop, which he did eventually. I am suffering from flashbacks and am upset that I could not allow them to finish the procedure, blaming myself for being 'weak'. I keep bursting into tears and feel low in mood. I have had two children ans spinal surgery but have never experienced such excrutiating pain as this
  • Posted

sad I had a colonoscopy last Monday and it was awful. First of all the Doctor could not put the needle in. She tried both my hands, my right wrist and then my right forearm. After about 20 monutes of stabbing she gave up and said it would have to be done in the theatre with a butterfly needle which should be easier. When I got in the theatre she had another go and evntually put the needle in my hand. I now have huge bruises on my hands, arm etc.

After that it got worse. I was told that I had been given a sedative and painkiller but to be honest I did not feel at all drowsey and even though I was given another shot of painkiller I felt every turn of the instrument. It was like a knife being stuck in my stomach. I was told that there was scar tissue from the hysterectomy that I had 20 odd years ago. Two Doctors tried to get the instrument round but every time they came to a bend I felt the awful pain. When they couldn't proceed with this they decided to take the instrument out and put a smaller one in instead. No difference, it was still agony. The Doctors and nurses were very kind though, kept apologising and saying that I was such a good patient. Maybe, but it was still agony. Eventually, they gave up, said that what they could see was ok.

My appointment was at 2pm and my husband didn't see me until 5.30, he thought that I had gone home!!! I have now got to see the consultant again to see where he wants to go from here but I can tell you, I am not going to have that test again unless they knock me right out. I went to my GP because I thought that I might have IBS like my two sisters.

• Posted

Liz B.

Sorry your experience was dreadful, like mine. My surgeon sent me for a barium enema following the above abortive colonoscopy. I absolutely dreaded it but as it turned out it did not hurt at all!!!!!!! Worst bit was the even more restrictive dietary and Picolax procedure. My radiologist said that they carry out the procedure on lots of people for whom colonoscopy is too painful. Good luck xx :angel:

• Posted

I had a colonoscopy yesterday and it was a nightmare, i have had persistant diahorroea for a while so was sent along by my GP, the sedative and painkiller had little effect and the pain was unbearable. I too could feel every twist and turn and cried like a baby throughout. Thank goodness for the lovely nurses because the doctor who actually performed the colonoscopy did not say a word throughout. I slept for 24hrs afterwards, i just wish the sedative had worked at the time i was having the procedure. They found nothing wrong... traumatised for nothing! ps the 5 other patients having colonoscopies felt nothing at all so i may have just been unlucky.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.