I B S HELP PLEASE

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi i new to this i need some advise im i have been told i have ibs but im not convinced. my symtoms are bloated stomach get pains awkwardness all over my tummy really bad when im on my periods keep gettin urine infections unabe to sleep on my stomach which i have been doing since i was a kid and nowim 36 i have had a ct scan all clear had a pelvic ultra sound n a viginal ultrasound all said was couldnt find my left ovaries they said i have 3 hernias and kidney stone which they said is not why im getting these symtoms.  i dont suffer with my bowls at all thats why i think its not i b s and something else 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It doesn't sound like IBS if you don't have constipation or diarrhoea. That is usually the main complaint with IBS as well as bloating and nausea.

Could be endometriosis maybe? That could explain period pain, bloating.

Some women are more prone to urine infections due to the close proximity of the vagina to the anus. So this could be unrelated to other issues.

I would guess you can't sleep on your stomach because of the hernias? Are they located near your belly button? They could also be causing you pain. Are you having surgery to fix them?

You could try going on a low fodmap diet and seeing if this helps. This is what my gp has suggested for me and I have textbook symptoms of IBS after having my gall bladder removed.

• Posted

hi thanks for your reply i have suggested that no not having any surgery as they think the hernias are far to small to cause any issues ive tried all the meds for ibs n nothing i have been going to the doctors for so im fed up i would of thought if it endometriosis that would of come up on the ultra scans or my ct scan????
  • Posted

No bowel isdues= not IBS.

The kidney stone and hernia could be contributing to the pain. You could also have ovarian cysts which you would normally see on the ultrasound but if they couldn't see one of your ovaries they could have missed it.

Endometriosis often won't show on a scan you need a laparoscopy .

Get back on to you doctor.

• Posted

Thanks for ur reply I have been up n down the doctors even tho I said no bowl problems but still she says it is IBS I'm gonna have to see another doctor as I'm getting fed up with this n regarding my left ovary they said if they can't find it there is nothing wrong

• Posted

Seems this f....g moderators don't like me to provide solution. Simply making money on the name of helping hearts. thru medicines and forums.

• Posted

A laparoscopy is how they diagnose endometriosis.  If you had this, you would have heavy bleeding during and in between periods. You say you only have pain.  IBS can make your periods feel worse and can cause all over stomach pain, bloating and urinary problems especially excessive urination.  Lying down can be painful with IBS. You may be having very subtle changes in bowel habits that you have not noticed.  My IBS started with constipation but I did not see it as a change because I am used to bouts of constipation. The only thing that was different was that the constipation kept cioming back on a weekly basis and fruit and laxatives did not help much and I developed constant stomach pain.

However, bowel,habit change is a key symptom of IBS, so this is strange that you were diagnosed with IBS but you don't have this symptom.  You could also ask for stool tests to see if you have  h pylori and ask for a celiac test to see if your sore stomach is related to that.

You may have atypical IBS which means that you do have IBS but your symptoms are not typical of the condition.   You could ask your doctor about that.  It may be this is the way IBS is affecting you.  Everyone experiences it differently.

When I had my ultrasound, I was told they couldn't see anything because I had a gassy bowel and it was in the way.  I questioned this because I thought they meant they couldn't see any organs at all.  What they in fact meant was that although they couldn't see some things, there was nothing wrong with what they could see.

• Posted

hi ya thanks for ur reply i have been tested for crones celiac and gluten all came back clear i do get heavy bleeding when on period but neva in between i been on diffrent ibs meds n none of them seem to be helping in anyway when i had the ultra sounds it was far to painfull for them to get in n check proply 
    • Posted

I couldn't cope with the pelvic ultrasound either.  Two attempts were made but they had to be abandonned because it was too painful.  My legs started spasming immediately when the probe went in.  I thought she was going to pull out all my insides.  I am very small and slender and the probe was really far too large for someone of my size.and it and felt like a brick.  I was told if I ever needed that procedure again, I could have an MRI or CT instead  Ask  for a CT or MRI to see if cysts/fibrioids  could be causing heavy menstrual bleeding  

I asked if not coping with pelvic ultrasounds was a problem, but she said no, and that some women can't handle it.

I have had manual examinations done there years ago and I couldn't handle the pain on that occasion either.  Invasive tests are always a huge problem for me, even simple blood teats.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.