I came off Citalopram Very Gradually and did not have any bad feelings at all

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had been on 20mgs of Citalopram for 6 months and was feeling like myself again. I decided to come off, so just took one pill every other day. After a week felt bad so went back to a pill daily for a week. To come off them I took 6 days as normal then on the 7th day had a half pill. The next day felt very tired but then was ok again. I took one half pill a week three weeks. Then I had a second half dose a week for three weeks, again felt tired the next day but by the third week felt ok the day after a half dose so introduced another half dose. I gave it three weeks each time between lessening the dose. When each day was a half dose I had one day with no pill and 6 days with the half dose and every three weeks had another day with no dose. I had three days a week with a half dose, then two, then none. It took a long time but I did not suffer at all in the way you guys have described on here. Slow and steady. Good luck to you all.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Well done, you were very lucky.

I also know someone who went completely cold turkey after 6 months, and seems to be having no ill effects.

However, I think she is in the minority.

Overall, how many weeks did you taper, and how long ago was your actual final dose, if you don't mind sharing 😊

• Posted

Hi Ruth,

It was about 5 months. Last dose in November.

• Posted

All the best to you, hoping you continue to feel good. Certainly sounds like you might be lucky... 🍀

Happy New year x

• Posted

All the best to you too Ruth. Hope 2019 brings good feelings your way. Happy New Year x

• Posted

you were only on it short term, plus i felt awesome for a month then crashed

• Posted

Hi Toria,

Yes it was short term on Cit but after 12 months on two other that didn't suit me as well.

I was only saying that my experience of taking it very slowly helped me to not feel bad again.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi, here's what I wrote earlier:

I had been on 20mgs of Citalopram for 6 months and was feeling like myself again. I decided to come off, so just took one pill every other day. After a week felt bad so went back to a pill daily for a week. To come off them I took 6 days as normal then on the 7th day had a half pill. The next day felt very tired but then was ok again. I took one half pill a week three weeks. Then I had a second half dose a week for three weeks, again felt tired the next day but by the third week felt ok the day after a half dose so introduced another half dose. I gave it three weeks each time between lessening the dose. When each day was a half dose I had one day with no pill and 6 days with the half dose and every three weeks had another day with no dose. I had three days a week with a half dose, then two, then none. It took a long time but I did not suffer at all in the way you guys have described on here. Slow and steady. Good luck to you all.

• Posted

i was on it over 6 years at 10mg, i cut to 5mg then weeks later to 4mg i felt so well for 4 weeks then had every symptom going so i updosed to 6mg 6 months ago and im still feeling bloody awful, this drug is so strong never take that for granted

• Posted

It is shockingly strong.

I am sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment. Have you heard of SuperBetter? I watched a ted talk and then kind of made up my own game which really empowered me during my worst times.

Best wishes to you and anyone else reading this.

• Posted

are you off it now? and no never heard of it, will have a google thank you.

• Posted

Hi N, its good to hear that you have not suffered any ill effects, unfortunately, people can react differently and your advice to go slow is great. I had to go cold turkey as the side effects outweighed the withdrawal. Am 8 weeks med free and feeling absolutely great with the odd blip here or there.

• Posted

Thank you Lois. I cant quite believe it, its only been a matter of days feeling consistently fine, fingers crossed that I have finally made it. Partied hard new years, apart from hangover felt fine, had a long overdue eye test yesterday, the light in my eyes didnt affect me, and my eyesight has improved alot. My craving for sweet things and snacking has gone., so many changes. Am just left with muscle issues which I am working on. so happy at the moment.

• Posted

thank god the moderator deleted that comment by clink .we have enough problems with our mental health as it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.