I can't deal with work - how will I do this for the rest of my life?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've struggled with depression and anxiety for around four years now, but the past two have been the worse.

Since finishing university and turning my part-time job into a full-time job, I've felt unable to cope. I have constant nightmares, problems with overeating, always tired, always anxious. I feel like I'm falling apart.

I'm going travelling for three months soon, but I can't imagine going back into full-time work or to the same workplace.

How to people with anxiety work? What do you do?

I'm a Graphic Designer/Web Developer and it's very hard to find a Part Time job, all I can think is that is finding somewhere I could work from home mostly. But I'm only three years into my career and an employer wouldn't be happy about that.

I do take medication for anxiety: Prozac & Beta Blockers, I've also tried CBT and counselling (both work for a few weeks), then I go back to my same ways.

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

We've been discussing chamomile tea elsewhere, really seems to help some folks, others not so much. Check with your doc or pharmacist first to make sure it won't interfere with other meds you're taking, ask about L-theanine too. 

Have you talked to your employer about working from home more often? Don't let anxiety speak for them. 

How's your sleep? 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi,

i have posted similar concerns about the future and working.

i have just actually posted one!

The current feelings you have will not define you for the rest of your life.

from persnal experience you will have long periods of feeling well and occasional setbacks where you think "oh no it's back again"

accept that anxiety will always be part of us as it's just in our genetic makeup.however you can and will have sucessful career and future.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Are you in therapy? You need to review your meds if they arent working and ask the therapist exactly what he feels is going on. there are other meds or maybe you need a higher dosage but the doctor should know. I dont use meds. Stay in counseling very helpful to deal with all this.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Be very careful before you decide to leave your employment.

I DID do that...and I don't regret it...but I have not been any better since doing so.

Maybe. Look for another job..while your working that would better suit you.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up