I can’t exhale HELP

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have a problem and I am so scared I dont know what to do anymore.

I am 26, smoker for cca 10 years.

I recently got of Xanax.

Last 2 days I have a feeling like i can’t exhale all the air out of my lungs. It is making me dizzy and scared. I am so worried I have COPD or smtg. 

Can anyone tell me why this is happening? What to do? How to stop it?

I have Ventolin at home (had minir asthma as a child - but not present anymore), I took that - not working. My oximeter says 97%, then it throws down to 85%, then 98%. I am coughing all the time, producing mucus. I even have a nervous tick by dry coughing and I have a bad anxiety disorder. Because of anxiety i usually have shortness of breath - like i can’t inhale enough air. But i never had an exhale problem.

This is so uncomfortable and i am very scared.

Please help! Thank you!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Have you seen a doctor about it? At least they could put your mind at rest by knowing what the problem is. If you are worried about COPD it may be a good idea to stop smoking of course.
    • Posted

Hello,

I went to the hospital last night - i could not take it anymore.

They did all the blood work, blood gases, minerals etc, listened to my lungs, checked my blood pressure, oxigen levels, temp, thrombocites etc.

Everything came back perfect. Except my co2 was a little off. They told me to stop smoking and get some excersize. Gave me some oxigen. And they said I was hyperventilating. 

• Posted

Glad you have seen someone. If you check on the effects of smoking it is enough to put you off for life, sometimes it can be quite devastating. Also exercising is more difficult. I used to smoke and I am so glad I gave up, although there is always the slight craving there. One big advantage is that you can save a fortune!
    • Posted

How did you stop smoking?

For me it is sooo hard. Currently i am smoking 5-6 cigarettes per day. This is the lowest i ever got.

Usually it was 1,5 packs per day😱

And i bought me e cigarette to get off.. and it is really hard..

• Posted

I was always at least on 20 a day if not a lot more. I used to give up for three months and then used to have one and was back to the same amount a few days later. I usually gave up when I had a cold which did seem to work for a while. I then went and stayed with someone who had asthma and realised I had not smoked for three days without really realising it, I may have had one or two cigarettes which I shared with others since. You sound as if you have reduced an enormous amount. They do say it is better to give up totally than slowly reduce though. It is more painful doing it that way they say. I do agree it is really hard, although thousands of people have managed it. The trouble was I really enjoyed smoking. I think if a doctor told me I had COPD I would give up immediately from fright. A friend of mine has been diagnosed with emphysema and told she had two years left to live, she gave up immediately and has survived over two years. I had a terrible cough from smoking which eventually went away thank goodness. I suppose there is no magic cure for giving up smoking just hard work and a will to do it.
  • Posted

Do you get a gravelly feeling in your chest when you get a cough?
    • Posted

Nowhere. I dont cough like that. Its more like i cough from the throat then lungs.

They checked me at hospital, i am fine 😊

• Posted

Well I am glad you are ok, but if you want to help the cough, look for cough syrup with guaifenesin, it stops the urge to cough. I cough a lot and it really helps. It is also in some all in one cold and flu tablets if you ever get ill.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.