I can't stop thinking about my anxiety!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Ive recently just turned 18 and Basically this will be my third time in the past 6 months of having severe anxiety and depression. It seems that when I have an extreme breakdown or panic attack my mind stays fixated on the idea of 'anxiety' and anything related to it. No matter what I'm doing I'm thinking about it. It's really frustrating because it prevents me from living my life, and I don't feel like doing anything besides staying in bed all day. I've never considered killing myself but sometimes I think it would be so much easier if I wasn't alive. I'm coming up to my 5th week on fluoxetine and no major improvements. Does anyone know how long it can take for fluoxetine to be effective? My doctor told me that if I'm not feeling better within the next 2 to 3 weeks then she'll prescribe me to another medication. On top of that I've been taking Xanax for the past 3 nights to help with the severity of the anxiety but even that doesn't help! It just makes me really sleepy and sleep for a really long time. The thing is I would say the fluoxetine was just beginning to take effect up until Wednesday night where I smoked a lot of mariguana and had a really bad trip. Ever since I haven't stopped thinking about my anxiety. I know it was a really bad decision seeing as mariguana doesn't agree with me and heightens my anxiety so Im definitely staying away from the drug! Also this will be the third my mind has been stuck in this thought pattern of 'I can't stop thinking about my anxiety'. Both other times only lasted about a week or two until I finally got bored of the thought and it didn't scare me anymore then the thought seems to drift. I keep telling myself that I will be okay and that this is only temporary but it doesn't get any easier each time. It's almost harder because I know how stressful the process is and when it's there it feels like il be stuck this way forever. I just don't really know what to do because it's really overwhelming and I just want my life back rolleyes

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi kaseydawn

Its very common to stay fixated on the anxiety - it's just the way this illness works, but it will wear off in time.  You need to give Fluoxetine a long time to get good solid results, and in the initial stages you may get heightened anxiety (but it will wear off).  My 20 year old son took around 4 months to start feeling better, and 9 months on he's doing great!  You need lots of patience waiting for the meds to work - you can't hurry it along, but it'll happen for you if you wait.

Dont try and stop thinking about anxiety, try and accept it's part of the illness and it will go in it's own time.  I know its frustrating and scary, I've been there myself.  When the meds start kicking, you'll find the fixation will slowly disappear too.  It is only temporary, and it's hard to believe that when you're feeling stuck that way, but it will go.  

Exercise is really good for helping to burn off excess anxiety - it's boosts the endorphins.

Dont give up on the medication too soon.  Try and be patient and keep persevering ..... the benefits are worth the wait.

K x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response! Do you think that taking it at different hours each day can affect it? For example taking it at 9am one day then 12pm the next? My doctor told me that best results are when fluoxetine is taken in the morning but I just wondered if taking it at not the exact same time every day could also effect it?

And yes I agree 100% the sooner you accept the thoughts the sonner they will drift. This isn't the first time my mind has been stuck in this thinking pattern as I mentioned but I really don't find it any easier each time.. rolleyes and everytime it feels like it's permanent and I know deep down its not but why is that so hard for my mind to accept?

Anyway thank you for your response and it makes me really happy to hear people who have been down this road have come out perfectly fine. So much respect for you and your son on a bright path. All the best to you! Xx

• Posted

Hi Kasey,

I couldnt handle taking mine in the mornings, I did it for two weeks and felt so awful my doctor said to try taking it before bed instead. I'm slowly starting to improve since then but it's taken a long time. I would recommend taking it before bed instead, try to stick to roughly the same time each night bit don't change your meds yet. I'm on week 7 and only just starting to feel the benefits - people on here have been really helpful and telling me to stick with it. For some it takes 10-12 weeks to work. The weed doesn't help - I used to smoke, it's really bad for anxiety - try to stay away from it.

Good luck xx

• Posted

I don't think taking it at different times will affect the benefit of the medication, but it can make you feel a bit ill maybe?  When I first took it, I noticed if I was a few hours late with the dose I'd feel heady and sick.  It doesn't happen now though.

I take my meds in the morning - doctor said it would lessen the sleep disturbance at night.  Everyone's reacts differently though, so best to find what suits you best.

It really is hard to accept the thoughts are only temporary, especially when you're deep in the grip of anxiety and depression.  You just want it to be gone now!  When you're not well with it all, your mind becomes very negative and it's really hard to believe that what you're feeling 24/7 will be gone eventually.  When you're feeling better you can see it in a different light and wonder how you ever got so embroiled in it.  Its very hard to think straight when you're ill - but it will get better.

I had this illness real bad for many many years, a long time ago, before SSRI's were commonplace, and I only recovered when I was eventually put on them.  Took a long time for them to work, but for me, they were the best thing ever.

youll find as you begin to get better, you might have relapses with the illness returning.  Don't worry though, this is normal and it will disappear again.  Seems during recovery you'll be up and down for a while until you feel up all the time.

Oh, and I agree with KatyLost - smoking marijuana is one of the worst things you can do for anxiety and depression, and regular use can lead to psychotic illnesses like schizophrenia.  It might feel nice at the time, but it can so mess with your head.  Stay well clear.  Best thing you can do whilst waiting for your meds to work, is fresh air and exercise.  Go burn off that excess anxiety :-)

K x

• Posted

Hi! i’m 18 too and I have the exact same thing. Right now I’m worried that I’ll never be able to stop thinking about having anxiety. Even when I’m busy or doing other things, I stop to think that in that moment i’m not feeling anxious and it makes me aware of having anxiety and so it never stops. Its been going on for about a month. Did you get over it? I feel like I will never be normal again. Help!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.