I cannot empty my bowel no matter how hard I try, there is always a smell of poo off me

Posted , 1 user is following.

When I go to the toilet I cannot empty my bowels and there is always a smell of poo off me afterwards. I wipe myself fully until there is nothing left on the toilet roll but there is still a strong smell of poo. I can remember walking down the road soon after I went to the toilet and I smelled a terrible smell coming from the front of me, I dread to imagine what it'd be like from behind.

My Doctor thinks i'm constipated but I go to the toilet often, at least 5 days a week and twice a day at times, the frequency of going to the toilet isn't the problem. I think this all started when I was depressed a number of years ago and I was on 5 or 6 different types of medication; an anti-depressant, multiple antipsychotics, valium and another one or two.

I can remember after taking the above medication for a while after I left the toilet there was a smell off poo off me despite me wiping myself like I did in the past, when there was no smell. I've had this big problem since. I said my Doctor thinks i'm constipated, but the Consultant in the hospital did an examination (she put a camera up my back passage) and doesn't think i'm constipated. I went to the physio in the hospital after being seen by the consultant and she did some tests on me and gave me exercises.

She inserted her finger into my rectum during one test and found there was still stool in my rectum so I know I know it's not just my thoughts. I've exercised in the past and eaten fruit & veg plus sat in various positions on the toilet but nothing helped me empty my bowel fully, nothing has taken away the smell of poo after I leave the toilet. I've taken Glycerol supplements, Movicol, other medications but nothing has worked.

I don't know what is wrong with my system that I can't empty my bowels, it makes me depressed and angry at times. The consultant at the hospital said i'm not constipated, so I take her word, but I can't find the medical term for my condition so I can get diagnosed.

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.