I cannot shake the ups and downs of this depression

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, Im new to this forum and am so scared. I've been suffering with this depression for 18 mos now due to a family trauma.  That has improved, but my depression hasn"t. I am now taking celexa.  I started on 10mgs for 2 weeks 20mgs for a month and just started 40mgs 2/12 weeks ago.  About 2 mos ago i started to have some good days and then went back to bad days.

in the past month I started having a good period for about 10days and then relapsed for around 10days.  This has happened about three times now. Does anybody think that more time on the 40"s will level me out some more. the downs after the ups are horrible.  I always think I'm finally over it

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Peggy

It definitely took me at least 8 weeks on 20mg before I started to feel good again.  I'm now on week 11 and still improving but feel fab compared to previous.  This drug can feel like it's taking forever to work but you will get there I promise.  I think it's quite normal to have days that are better than others.  Please remember that even if you weren't depressed everyone has ups and downs.  Also if you have had a family trauma it's still quite normal to be down about that.  Medications are good but they can't solve all your problems.  Hang in there and be patient and don't beat yourself up on the days you feel bad xx

• Posted

HI LOUISE,

D O YOU THINK ITS NORMAL to have long relapses like up to 10 days.  And do you know how long between dose uppages it should start to take effect? Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Yes it can be. That when u need to journal UR relapses and coping skills. It necessary feed back for u and UR dr. & for prescriptions .

Sleeping is tricky... 

TC&GB

• Posted

Family trama is really tough. I am so sorry y have to endure the pain. It can consume every thought while compounding health issues as ell. 

It helped me thru severe trama to take meds. It did not all get better at once. For me one day at a time it helped as time went by. 

Emotional turmoil can create havoc for mind and body. Counseling and meds is wat is recommended.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. Do you think its normal to have relapses that can last up to ten days.  Then i have great days where i feel like i really beat this. Then comes the depression and anxiety again. I am so confused. Do u think its the uppage in my dose will take longer to work? I go to counseling,take meds and also go to my pastor for support.  I hope you are doing well.

• Posted

Hi Peggy,

every one is different . Reacting to meds is not just one issues also other stressors in our lives and how severe the original trama was. I never reall ever forget it's always ther just not as severe as without meds. I don't seem to become obsessed with them all. It is a life long coping strength to continue helping our selves. 

• Posted

You're still suffering from the trauma and no pill will shift that easily.  I have just seen a psychologist who says I am still suffering from traumas from 9 and 14 years ago.

I'm not saying that will happen to you but 18 months isn't long enough to recover.  Pills only masque problems and don't cure.

Ask your doc. for therapy.

• Posted

Thanks.  I have been seeing a psychologist every week for a year and a half. I also see my pastor for spiritual support.  Its just that the celexa was working so well. for me. I think that will help me deal with things a lot easier.
    • Posted

It's very hard, Peggy. Your pastor is probably the best person to help you, at this time to give you answers to 'why?'.  The memories are still too raw and it's natural for you to feel the ups and downs of depression.  There would be something wrong with you if you forgot too quickly!

You've gone through a tsunami and trying to clear the debri - that can't be done overnight.

Take care - one day at a time. x

• Posted

Thanks so much for responding Ms Mac. I'm so lucky to have my pastor. He gives me hope. Im just so discouraged after feeling so good.  I wish we knew wy bad things happen to good people. I just hope i can get through this.
    • Posted

Your pastor should be able to help with that answer.

I can feel suicidal one day and the next day fine and nothing has changed.  Part of depression.  Just expect bad days and know that they WILL pass and, hopefully, one day will disappear.

• Posted

Thanks Ms Mac, I just found out that my pastor who has been counseling me has stomach cancer.I have been preparing myself for it because every day i went to see him he was so much thinner.  He is taking it well and accepts God"s will.  I wish i had his strength. He even set up some one else fo counsel me in case he cant do it anymore.  I also have a question for anyone that wants to answer. Do you think that i should stay on my 40 mgs of celexa. I've been on 20mgs for a month and 41/2 weeks on 40 mgs.  hs anyone been on it that long and got better?
    • Posted

I don't think it makes you 'better' as it doesn't cure.  It only masques the problem.  If the original problem that caused it is still there then so will your depression be unless you get other help.  Just my opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.