I didn't realise how bad I actually felt till the doctor gave me citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

So...I'm one of those people that laughs through life, I have bad times but also lots of good times. I have been a single mum with 2 beautiful children for 10 yrs, they are my world and my life. I've muddled on, worked 2 jobs and gave my kids some fantastic childhood memories. Last year, I sadly lost a parent, my rock. Did I grieve? No! I cracked on and made sure everybody was ok. I then started to date thinking 'this will take my mind off it'. Did it? No! 12 months on, the guy I was dating was a cheat! Did I grieve for the pain it caused me? No! Did I still grieve for my mum? No! I got a different job instead! Suddenly, about a month ago, I felt weird, I didn't feel right, I wanted to sleep all the time and felt very agitated, like I can't describe! The headaches were unbearable and I couldn't stand noise! I didn't feel sad, I felt ill! I didn't want to talk or be with anybody, and I actually thought I was going to die! Then one day, I walked in to my kids arguing (as teenagers do) I actually flipped, I couldn't stop crying and screaming, hurrendous! Next day I finally went to my gp! He mentioned anti depressants as he thought I was suffering from anxiety! I laughed! Me? Never! He gave me 10mg of citalopram..I reluctantly took one and within 6 hours, the headache that I'd suffered for weeks, had started to lift! I couldn't believe it! After 5 days I felt so much better..then BOOM..the headache returned! I rang my gp who was fab and told me to up the dose to 20mg..headache gone within hours! I am now on day 12. Fingers crossed I have had no side effects at all! I sleep like a baby, and wake up feeling like I have actually been to sleep! None of the nightmares I was suffering before the tablets! It seems I had all the side effect symptoms before I took the tablets, if that makes sense! I still feel a little confused, but nothing like before! And my memory is shocking, but I'm hoping that will change the longer I'm on it! I never realised I was so anxious, till now I can think straight! So far this has been a life saver for me! I wanted to throw a positive out there! I've even cleaned my house daily again since taking them, that had left me too. Good luck everyone, I honestly hope these tablets work for you x

1 like, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

👍👍👍

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It's wonderful to hear the good it does for people!  I know it has helped me too!  Keep up the good work!!  And Thank you for the possitive words!!  I swear by it, and I too have not had the bad side effects others have gone through.  I have been on it for going on 4 years now.  Started with 20mg, and have just stayed with the 20mg.  I have been thinking of going off of them, but I am doing so well all these years, I am kind of afraid to!  LOL

?Continued success Claire!!!!  XO

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi deidra40034...and thankyou so much for your reply and positivity. I was actually getting a little worried thinking 'why does it only seem to be me having no side effects..what's wrong with me' haha...this just goes to show how I over analyse everything...which again...is probably an anxiety thing that I've never noticed in myself!! As a single mum I've had to totally be in control for all these years...and never realised sometimes we need a crutch too!! My kids are now 22 and 16...not babies anymore...but to be honest...it gets harder doesn't it not easier haha!! I need to start saying 'no' to them more often and let them make there own life decisions...instead of trying to fix everybody and make things right!! I'm just so glad I went to my GP and finally fessed up that I wasn't coping!! I'm hoping this is a turning point for me!! Words can't describe how awful I felt...and how I thought I was losing my mind!! Anxiety/depression isn't about feeling 'fed up' or just having a bad day...it's awful...and I would of never believed it till now!! From what I have read huni..if you are thinking of coming off them...id ween yourself very slowly!! Even if it takes a good 12 months or so!! I can honestly say...being new to this...I don't care if I'm on them for life...as long as I don't feel the way I'd felt for the last months!! Good luck sweetie if you decide to come off them...contact me anytime for support x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you Claire!  I am still thinking on it...I am still afraid to go off of Cital!  LOL  I feel too good to mess with things!  You know...if it ain't broke...

?You keep up the good work!  If I do decide to try going off...I will keep you in mind for support!!  smile?  You sound like a very possitive person too!!!!  XO 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hello again sweetie...thanks again for your reply!! Deffo contact me anytime! And I'm with you...if it isn't broke why fix it!! I'm back at the Doctors tomorrow...just for blood results and to see how I'm getting on...I could literally kiss his feet haha...I've had yet another set back this week with work...and I swear if I wasn't on these tablets I'd of blown me top...thank god I'm now so much calmer and can think straight!! I deffo won't be coming off them anytime soon!! Have you decided yet if you are going to give coming off them a try? Let me no how you are getting on flower!! We'll be positive together 👍🏻??!! X

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Claire....you sound just like me...my husband died 9 years ago, I marched on. Then in 2008 had both breasts taken to cancer. In 2010 my son took his family to live in NZ.....I was sad but Ho hum life goes on. Then December 2014 I went to NZ to be with my family, and my only brother was taken into hospital critically ill. Life support was switched off on 3rd Jan 2015, and I couldn't get back for the funeral. It was then that I cracked. My GP assured me that it was understandably "Reactive Depression" that I was suffering from, and that's what you have too. You are not weak in any way...you've had far to much to cope with, and the stress has ground you down to where I was. Citalopram sorted me, and I'm mainly fine now. Have faith.....you WILL be well again. Your reactions have all been perfectly normal.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi iris46...and thankyou for your reply sweetie. Wow...you really have been through such a lot!! How do we cope with these things?? We keep going don't we as we feel like we are invincible and strong!! And we are!! Although at times things get far too much and we think we can still keep muddling on and get through it!! I honestly never felt so frightened in my life with the way I was feeling!! I thought I was actually going mad!! As you will know, it wasn't a feeling i can describe!! And when I think back it was gradually coming on me for months!! My sparkle for life was slowly disappearing and I was desperately trying to grasp it back!! It took me 4 weeks to finally go to the doctors...and that was because I'd flipped in front of my kids...which frightened them to death but frightened me more!! I was scared of what was going to happen next!! Thank god I did!! I couldn't believe how I instantly started to feel better!! Like within hours!! I'm just hoping if I was going to get side effects or have a relapse they would of started by now (now day 13) as the thoughts of feeling like I did before frightens me like you wouldn't believe!! And it's very strange how all my symptoms were exactly what people have been describing as 'side effects' but now mine have gone!! There was obviously a chemical imbalance going on somewhere in my brain!! I now realise that anxiety/depression isn't about feeling sad or fed up...it is an illness...the most awful illness ever!! I'm so glad you are feeling better now..and I hope everything is good with you (the cancer too...my god...what a strong lady you are) and thanks again for your support x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Claire...you're very kind. I'm pleased you are feeling much better. It truly is a horrible illness. I I hate it when people say to pull yourself together....I just reply "oh is that all I have to do....why didn't I think of that". One of the people who said it to me is now going through her own trauma!!!!! I just hope she now understands

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi sweetie...ow I know exactly what you mean...my oldest bestest friend came round to visit (my daughter had rang her because she was worried..I definitely wasn't acting myself'wink!! The first thing she said was 'god youve lost weight'...of which straight away my anxiety hit the ceiling...because I didn't know what was wrong with me...this just convinced me even more I was dying!! Then she said 'what's wrong?' Like I knew!!! Then she said 'you're definitely not yourself...you light up a room and it's like someone's switched the light off'!! Ow my god...I thought I was actually going to lose it and kick her out haha!! I laugh now...but I really wasn't laughing at the time!! I sat there thinking 'leave...just leave...I want to be alone'...and I meant it too!! I love my best friend with all my heart...and I would never ever react this way towards her...again...I knew I wasn't right!! People really don't understand the word 'depression' do they? I certainly didn't!! I thought it was just feeling abit down because you was having a tough time!! Absolutely not!!! It's awful!! It's weird!! It's an illness!! X

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Claire,

My name is Raine. My doctor has given me Citalopram for anxiety but I am a bit scared to start taking it as I have read a lot about side effects and how much trouble people have coming off it. I have had dizzy head and not felt well for ages. After reading what you have said I think I will try it and see how I go.. Can you keep me posted how you are going with this in the future? You certainly have gone through a lot and been very strong Claire. Good luck to you.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Raine...thankyou for your reply sweetie. My advice to you darlin would be to deffo give it a go!! You will feel a difference instantly..within hours...be it good or bad (this is only my opinion flower and reading what I have read on here). I felt a difference literally within hours!! The awful headache I'd had for weeks had suddenly started to lift...as if me brain had been starved of something!! I had also been feeling dizzy...and very disorientated...like I wasn't concentrating...and the more I tried to concentrate...id get very agitated!! Some days I wanted to scream and scream...for no reason...or I'd feel like I was going to snap and I was frightened of what I was going to do!! It was the most frightening horriblist feeling ive ever experienced!! I only started on a very low dose..10mg..I was taking that for 5 days when I could feel the headache and the feelings coming back...like a blanket covering my eyes!! I did some research and realised it wasn't strong enough...but I'm glad I started at such a low dose!! My doctor upped it that day to 20mg...and again...I instantly felt better!! I'm now on day 15...absolutely NO SIDE EFFECTS whatsoever!! Like I said before darlin..all the side effects people talk about...are what I was experiencing before I started on the Citalipran...I'm back at the doctors today for a check in and bloods results...I could literally kiss his feet for giving me this medication!! I feel just normal again!! I don't feel elated or happy happy happy!! I feel normal...and that's how I've wanted to feel!! Good luck sweetie if you decide to take them!! Message me anytime...for support...a chat...or just an update darlin xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Claire

My name is Sarah and I'm 23. My GP prescribed me citalopram as I was suffering from anxiety and insomnia.

I had tried all different sleeping pills but the doctor thought they were acting like a band aid as I wasn't able to sleep without them.

I am scared to take the first pill which is 20mg because of people saying that insomnia is a side effect.

Can you give any advice ? Xx

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up