I don't know how to talk about my depression

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been depressed for a long time now and it's getting worse. I know that I should talk to someone, like a doctor, but I don't want to waste anyone's time. I took the survey on this website and it said that I should ring an ambulence immediatly. I just cant bring myself to do it though, i'm not manic or out of control.

1 like, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

hi u wont be wasting anyones time 1 in 4 people maybe higher suffer with depression some time in there life! talk to the gp hun..goodluck
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi there, If you feel that bad you must consult a doctor. You are not wasting their time, it is their job to help you. They will arrange for you to be seen by someone in that field asap.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Jess please go to your doctor ASAP. You will not be wasteing there time. And the doctor will be able to make you feel a lot betterxx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi jess firstly you would not be wasting the doctors time you can't deal with this on your own and if it is depression it does not go away it just gets worse and worse when you do go and see your doctor be completely honest with them  and tell them everything, when I first plucked up the courage to go I couldn't speak for crying it had built up so much I couldn't speak and luckily enough my doctor understood what I was going through. Depression is as bad as other illnesses and needs treatment just the same so you are not wasting anyone's time you deserve to get better remember that and if you need medication to help you through this period then take it because the longer you put this off the worse you will feel. I wouldn't call an ambulance unless I had suicidle thoughts and thank god I have not had them so don't sit alone ask someone for help.

take care suexxxxxxxsuexxxxxxx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello dear Meghan,

You are a valuable person worthy of love and respect. The world would not be the same without you. Don't let anyone let you think any less of yourself, dear. So you would NOT waste anyone's time by seeking help. I don't know about the survey but undoubtedly you answered that you have suicidal thoughts. If that is the case, do as the website says. You must contact a relative or a good friend to help you go to the hospital and see you through this. Doctors and nurses will hep you get out of this deep, dark hole that you are in. There IS light at the end of the tunnel. Soon, you will look back on this period and be thankful that it is behind you. And no, you will not be wasting anyone's time. Your life is precious!

Robin

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Meghan,

It is important that you talk to someone, keeping it to yourself will only make it worse,

defintely go to your doctor, your not wasting anyones time, and it its your gps job.

You can always talk to us here, and explain how you feel, there are alot of lovely people on this forum that will give you support and advice, alot of who have/are suffer with depression, including myself.

Don't suffer in silence, take care x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

take courage - you have already taken the first step by writing about how you feel on here, so you have started in the right direction.

i agree with everyone else - please speak to your GP. i also felt i was wasting my doctor's time and he reassured me that i'm not. the advantage of talking to a counsellor is that they are not a friend/family therefore you can be more open about your feelings without worrying that they will be hurt or anything.

in the meanntime, be kind to yourself, take things slowly if you need to.

good luck 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You know you'll feel better when you've made an appointment with your GP and even better when you've actually spoken to someone about how you feel.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It took me about three years of depression before I saw a doctor. I was scared to go in, to waste her time. If I'd had to phone up for an appointment I probably wouldn't have dared yet, but luckily the practice started offering online booking. I didn't know how to tell her, but just said 'I want to talk about depression', and she led me gently through a questionnaire (probably similar to the one you took), gave me some advice, leaflets and a prescription for Sertraline. It was a very positive experience just to talk to someone who listened and understood, and the pills have helped - not cured me, but taken the deepest lows away and allowed me to start getting back on track. I know it's really hard to motivate yourself, to take care of yourself, to talk to people. But do it.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up