I don't know where to turn

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've suffered with depression anxiety and self loathing for a long time and have tried going to the dr on a number of occasions. All they want to do is stuff me full of pills and fob me off. I can't go through this all again with him. It's hard enough as it is. So I've decided to take control and get help elsewhere. I'm not the brightest spark and finding it difficult to search online for this stuff. So wondered where I sposed to go. I think I need therapy, but where do I even start?? It's getting serious now so any help is appreciated. 

1 like, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

If your in the UK you can get Counselling and Cognitive Behavior Therapy on NHS. The Pills will help while you are waiting for the counselling services
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

are you still taking the prozac.i just thought i would ask.you know with that drug it takes awhile to kick in
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

They gave my something called clitapram. I was on it for 6 months and it made me worse. So I came off them. But I don't want pills. It's not normal to think the way I do so I want to be normal not just trick my brain.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Matt, 

Sorry to hear your troubles. I was in a similar situation, seeing my doctor about depression/anxiety and continually given pills. I got sick of this, and asked my GP to refer me to counselling (through the NHS). It took them ages to come back to me - a couple of months - so I didn't bother in the end. You might have more luck though. 

The one thing that finally worked for me was a book called 'The Depression Cure' by Dr Stephen Ilardi. He suggests six things you can which don't require any medication - including regular exercise, sleep, sunlight, and omega-3 (fish oil) supplements. I would highly, highly recommend this book. I know everyone's case is different, but this helped me immensely and I will not go back to pills.

Also, there is nothing to stop you from following the recommendations in this book and continuing to look for counselling / congative behaviour therapy - in fact it's probably worth doing both to hedge your bets. Best of luck.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up