I feel horrendous

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I've been taking citalopram 10mg for a week and I feel horrendous . I've stopped taking them now because I can't take the side effects any longer.

I'm on my 2nd day of going cold turkey.

When will these horrible side effects stop

PLEASE HELP ????

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Aww bless you. What side effects did you get and what are you taking them for? I'm taking for anxiety and the side effects were dreadful for the first 2 weeks or so.  Heightened anxiety, panics, dry mouth, no appetite.  I am better now, not 100 per cent but getting there.  I did have to have diazepam to calm me down on occasions. I would persevere if you can as most people do get better as it starts to work but you may need something like diazepam to help you through. You won't be given much as it can be addictive but I found it just stopped the anxiety, didn't feel high or anything like that x

• Posted

I was taking them for anxiety and depression , was on matazapine but they made me really tired and being a truck driver they were just no good for me so the doctors put me on the citalopram.

9 months ago I collapsed at work with blood clots in the lungs , that was nothing to what I'm feeling now , head feels numb and is throbbing the sick feeling is nasty , I'm lightheaded , extreamly tired and can't concentrate , it's no wonder people have suicidal thoughts on these things , never felt so ill in my life , xmas is ruined

• Posted

I know how you feel. I was prescribed for anxiety. I only took it for a week and my doc told me stop cuz I was having severe side effect - insomnia, restlessness, swearing, heightened anxiety, panic attack, depression, and zero appetite. I had lost so much weight and was so weak I had to be hospitalized and was given 3 bottles of IV.

Two days after I stopped the med, I started eating again, almost none stop. I felt so much better than before I took the med. I still wake up in the middle of the night and at 4am but that's much better than getting only 3hs of sleep everyday for a week! So I feel that even thought I had stopped the med, it did something my brain, but I'm trying not to think to much of it

I'm glad this med works for others, but I'm also glad I stopped mine early as it is just not for me.

I hope the med will start leaving your system and I hope you start feeling better.

• Posted

Murv

I was prescribed 20mg cit in July & frankly it ruined the summer for my family. The first 2 weeks were the worst of my life with increased anxiety & depression , I stopped eating , had the shakes, tinnitus & hot sweats , if it wasn't for this forum I would have stooped the meds, things did settle down after six weeks but I never felt good on the meds & cut down after three months , I instantly felt better & now feel the best I've felt in years , my point being although I felt crap on the drug it did fix me up in the back ground but it does take time so like any other illness you need to take the time of work & give yourself the space to recover , in the long term it's a small sacrifice.

All the best

Tom

• Posted

That's exactly how I was my doctor also told me to stop because of how poorly I was , I've lost a stone in weight in 2 weeks.

Can I ask how long it was after you stopped taking it did you feel better because I'm on day 4 now and my appetite is still none existent and I feel horrible ???

• Posted

I am so sorry that you still haven't gotten your appetite back.

I had mine back two days after I stopped the med, when I was in the hospital and was on three bottles of IV. I think it's the IV which helped brought back my appetite. Perhaps you can talk to your GP about giving you something that can help with your appetite.

I hope you feel better.

• Posted

This medication has some  unpleasent side effects when we first start although you have only been on them for about one week.

You are on the minimal dose so if you are coming off them you come of cold turkey and the side effects should be minimul. The problem you have however is you need to give the drug a month to feel any benefit, your GP possibly will increase the dose to 20mg. You should be ok any time now, give it time and explain your reasons  for stopping the medication

Merry Christmas

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.