I gained about 10 kg after few months taking 75g venlafaxine.. what other option

Posted , 2 users are following.

I gained about 10 kg after few months taking 75g venlafaxine what should i do what other options do i have? I asked my doctor once about it and she told me that I need to need eat well but it is not because of venlafaxine. The maximum weight I always reach is 70 kg now I'm over 75 kg. I used to be with sertraline. Please help.. I would appreciate any suggestions..

​Thank you

Note:

I used to be with sertraline.

I am under the following medications:

Ramipril 7.5 mg

Atenolol 100 mg

Venlafaxine 75 mg

Topiramate 50 mg

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lusy,

I was on 75mg of venlafaxine for 2 and a half years and although it did help a bit with anxiety, I too gained about 12kg in weight! It wasn't until I came off it that all the weight just dropped off quickly so I know it was the drug responsible for the weight gain. I've been off venlafaxine for nearly 2 years now and my weight has stayed normal. Why did you stop taking Sertraline? I think that anti d is better in terms of weight gain but I'm not sure how effective it is mood wise advice never taken it!! I guess you have to weigh up whether the benefits of venlafaxine outweigh the weight gain problem. Take care and good luck! Xxx

• Posted

Hi Bird82!

Many thanks for answering my questing!

I was taking sertraline for two years however; I have changed it to venlafaxine because I was feeling so bad, anxious and tearful most of my time and felt that sertraline wasn’t working for me. I then asked my doctor to change it to anything else. Now I want to take sertraline again as it worked for me for two years before. Or anything else! But I dont want to gain weight sad

Can you please tell me what other anti-depressant you took after leaving venlafaxine. 

Thank you smile

• Posted

Hi Bird82!

Many thanks for answering my questing!

I was taking sertraline for two years however; I have changed it to venlafaxine because I was feeling so bad, anxious and tearful most of my time and felt that sertraline wasn’t working for me. I then asked my doctor to change it to anything else. Now I want to take sertraline again as it worked for me for two years before. Or anything else! But I dont want to gain weight sad

Can you please tell me what other anti-depressant you took after leaving venlafaxine. 

Thank you smile

• Posted

Hi again,

I've taken citalopram in the past before venlafaxine but I never stick to it for long. Since quitting venlafaxine (cold turkey - not advised!) I haven't taken anything else. I'm trying hard to sort things out in my head by myself without any medication. It's been a rough road but I'm choosing therapy rather than drugs and a lot lot lot of self discovery and research!!! That's just my experience however and each individual should work out what's best for them. I'd advise speaking to your doctor and telling hem just how much the weight gain is affecting you. Cos there's no point being on medication if the side effects make you even more unhappy about things. Hope I'm making sense to you? Xxx

• Posted

Thank you so much Bird82 smile

I wish you all the best and hope you'll never get back to the antidepressant.

I need to take them this period of time because I am about to finish my thesis this year and do not want to screw thing up. As well, I do want to stay on antidepressant my entire life.

Anyway, thank you very much for getting back to me smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.