I had a broken tbia and broke my fibula in two places..AND dislocated the ankle. Why still swollen?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Will I ever get through this after surgery? I feel so physically exhausted and mentally depressed. Anybody else where I'm at???

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Yes you will get thru. It's like going to hell and back.

I didn't break Tibia but had multiple compilations with my Fibula.

Yes it will get better.

Got a knee scooter. A computer or games via TV?

Hobby.

Take pain killers as prescribed.

Stay on here to read and share and get support.

You know, it was 6 plus months b4 I walked, and unlike when I was first learning 55 years ago, there were no coffee tables to hold on to.

Swelling and colour change nay go on for months. Dr can tell u if itcis normal.

Good luck!

• Posted

I am a little over 3 weeks post surgery from a trimalleolar fracture.  The first week was painful and I was always uncomfortable .  Once I got the cast on, I was healing quickly.  It will get better.  The knee scooter was the best medicine!!!  I can get out and be more independent.  Find some TV series that you never had time to view.   Everyday is a day closer to being back to normal.  It was hard at first to stay positive, but I really worked at that every day and it helps.  Once you can get around and the pain is less, try exercising.  I started just moving the best I could in a chair....now I am doing full body workouts from a chair and mat without weight bearing on the ankle.  I feel so much better since I have been able to move.  There are many you tube videos for movement with a broken ankle.  Hang in there.  It will get better.  
    • Posted

Hi im 8 weeks ttc open ankle fusion and bone graft pins and a steel nail . I feel ur pain but hang in there I never thought it was going to get better but the last week or so thing are falling back in to place and I'm getting about and life is getting back to normal .keep smiling it will get better it's just time but don't rush it . Good luck .

• Posted

Hello! Thank you very much for all your positive feedback. Last night I iced and some swelling went down! !!! On ice now lol....
  • Posted

Hi Happy (love that screen name)!  You will get through this.  It's a horribly LONG ROAD though.  I fell and completely dislocated and broke my left ankle on May 10th and had surgery to put hardware in, on Friday May 13th.  It's been about six months and I still have some brusing and some swelling.  It's very emotionally (for me) taxing and physically, hard to deal with.

?I am still limping, but it's improving.  I know it's frustrating, but you will get through it.  I have to have one more surgery in a few months, to take two screws out and the rest of the hardware, stays in!

?You will get WONDERFUL SUPPORT from people on this forum!  I have and everyone is always so kind, encouraging and helpful!  I wish you the best!

Beth

• Posted

Oh Happy, you will get through it !

I am 5 weeks post op for a broken tib and fib and dislocation with 1 plate and 8 screws.  I am still very swollen and when I shower it swells and turns lovely fun shades of purple still smile   

It is a very long road that can not be measured in days, measure in weeks instead.  I found it helpful to take pictures each week so I could remember where I've been and how far I have come.

I cried off and on for the first 3 weeks, then I found this forum and the wonderful encouraging people here.  Ask questions and read the journey's of others.

It is a major surgery and a trauma to your body, be good to yourself and rest.  Yes catch up on TV shows and books.  

good luck to you

Pamela

• Posted

Keeping strong. Thank you so much for encouragement. Yes! The picture taking really has helped me too! One week at a time!
  • Posted

Hi Happy

You are in one of the stages of healing...I hope you have a knee scooter to get around.

Having major surgery is exhausting. Your body is burning energy to heal the bones and tendons and ligaments and muscles.

And the mental stress is real too. You just had a bunch of anesthesia dumped into your body which takes weeks to work it's way back out of your body. And then you added the narcotics on top....

Absolutely, you feel awful. But, awful is temporary.

Swelling causes discomfort and pain and delays healing. So, keep that ankle, that leg elevated above your heart, and keep it iced as much of the time as you can. I prefer the gel packs you can purchase from the pharmacy because they are flat and less aggravating to an injury, because they do not leak, because they remain frozen longer. You can inquire about the gel packs that can be both frozen and heated in the microwave. Consider purchasing multiples so that you can be using one set while the other set is on stand by in the refrigerator.

For the future you might discuss compression with your physical therapist.

kind regards

• Posted

Your awesome. Love all your care and advice. And information about the anesthesia! I never even thought of that!!!! True! Also...the fact that my healing bones are deplenishing my energy. Today, I began a multi vitimin....also I will see my primary care Dr. to discuss quitting smoking....which I know has slowed my healing. I got my cast wet at 7 week's btw..and had to go to ER for removal..well...I was then put in a boot cast and when my Ortho. called ....I said what had happened and they said...it's too soon for a walking boot...come back in for another cast. I had been very displeased with him...he was rude #1 and I just didn't go back. I had an infection early on and had to go weekly for cast removal for them to check infection and re x-ray which meant a total of 4 cast!!!! Omg!!! I was put on antibiotic for it and took a total of 56 of them!!!! The infection made the pain almost unbearable and he wouldn't give me anything strong enough for the pain...whew...that was a nightmare for me. Soooooo...having said that...I'm just praying my not going back for a dang 5th cast didn't mess me up...I now have no.pain and I'm now beginning 9th week. Swelling minimal and no bruising or infection. I probably need to go to. P.T.Dr...I'm guessing? Can't I just do my own at home? I only am.using moon boot outside of my small apartment and have no.limp...Soooooo. Any help or advice on this? Hope to hear back from you. I'll be checking mail here.

Worried; Happy 2016

• Posted

So you are week 9...my ortho would not allow me to weight bear until week 12...it is not about how you feel...it is all about the bones healing and gaining strength. In this case, cheating is not a good idea. Hardware can shift...a fracture can be loosened. Think of a cup, you glue the handle back on...and if you pick it up too soon...kaput!

Today is the second day of week 13 for reconstructing my right arm and not until January 27 will I be clear. It is not easy...but I have chosen to always obey.

My ankle, my femur snap, my arm reconstruction were all at least 12 weeks...and I have had several 8 weeks deals

hugs.

• Posted

Thank you for the input. No other Ortho will take me now will they? Because a do need to have it re xrayed to see if no damage coming out of my fiber glass cast allittle early and into a walking boot. I wander if I called some on my BCBS HMO would one accept me and just do a quick x-ray for me at least?
    • Posted

Yes, but I was told the plate and screw's would be suffeciant hold bones in place and that the cast was just for protection from further damage or re injury. I wore hard cast 6 week's. I'm in boot cast which I wear except laying down. I have no pain...minimal swelling and appear to have no limp etc. Soooo although he wasn't a friendly nor informative Dr.....I do believe his 25 year's experience has allowed him to do a great job on surgery at least. J's....also wouldn't I be experiencing pain if plate/ screws didn't form or mend my tibia and fibula AND the pin wasn't holding the dislocation as well?

• Posted

I truly think you have some good points....why not have an xray and put the whole thing to rest?

We are all on your side...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.