I had a complete knee replacement 7 years ago and have had nothing but problems with it.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I did have a total knee replacement 7 years ago and I have had nothing but problems with it.  I have been seeing another orthopedic doctor and he told me that when my knee was replaced it was not aligned correctly.  He said it needs all taken out and replaced with a newer kind and aligned properly.

I had been getting a lot of pain on my other knee and this new doctor told me it is because I am putting so much weight on that leg because my left knee is so messed up.  He said that I walk with a very notacible limp. 

I am 70 years old and I don't know if I want to go through this again as when I had it replaced 7 years ago it was very painful.  I was told all of the concrete will have to be drilled out which doesn't sound like much fun. 

Has anyone had a knee replacement on the same knee twice?

Thank you so much.

Ruby

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes.....I'm on my 4th prosthesis in the same leg. Not to beat a dead horse but I have a rare tumor that took my knee and then caused the original stem to come loose. Then I had a couple of nasty staph infection. I was 66 when i had the original at 75 and the last one at 78. I'm now 80. I've had at least 2 different brands of hardware with this one being superior to the 1st. I was never sure the 1st one was done correctly. What are you facing? Exactly the same rehab as the 1st one. Don't get caught up with the removal of the old one and the cleaning up. That's all in a days work for the surgeon. They just use a little different size stem, etc.

Don't expect anything any more ore less complicated other than the fact that with the correct hardware you may do much better in the long run. I've always felt my old one caused me to throw my foot out when I walked and this one doesn't.

• Posted

Hi, thank you so much for replying.  I thought maybe having a TKR would be more involved than the first one.  I was in therapy for 3-1/2 months 3 times a week because they couldn't get it to bend very well. 

I guess my real concern is that I read they have to remove the old appliance in the bone and they will have to remove more of my bone in order to get the new appliance secure. 

I also read (maybe I should quit reading but I don't want to go into this blind) that the chance of getting infection is greater.  I don't know why that is. 

I have put this off for 5 years but I am limping and it's hard to sleep at night because of the pain.

Thank you so much for the information and I hope you are doing well.

Ruby

• Posted

Sorry to hear Ruby.  I think just focus on the improvement that will happen with going through it again.  I guess like we did before the original TKR. Regarding your other knee, weight is the vicious cycle that most of us know so well.  When we can't exercise properly the weight hits, then the knee gets worse. It's so hard.

• Posted

Thank you, Cheryl, for your reply.  The doctor has mentioned that additional weight can cause a lot more problems and I have lost 10 pounds. 

In May, 2017 I had cervical surgery on my neck, C-5, C-6 and C-7 were all crushed and collapsed and that wasn't much fun. 

I have not scheduled surgery yet.  I appreciate your information.

Thanks again.

Ruby

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.