I had a nissen fundoplication about three weeks ago. I f...

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a nissen fundoplication about three weeks ago. I feel GREAT!

I am breathing better (reflux was giving me chronic pneumonia and also aggravating asthma)and swallowing better. I don't have to sleep with four pillows or in the recliner anymore.

I feel like I have gotten my life back after a number of years of undiagnosed suffering.

Within hours of surgery, I could tell a difference in the way I felt.

Eating is a bit of a challenge in that I can't sit and eat a big plate full of food anymore. But I can still eat a good portion. I eat more frequently but smaller meals.

The surgery has made all the difference in the quality of life I have.

I was miserable before surgery -- couldn't breathe, had an esophageal stricture and had no energy. Also, had frequent chest pain (heart ruled out), jaw and ear pain. So glad I had surgery.

[i:d2ebf07300]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d2ebf07300]

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello, came across this website and read your article about nissen fundoplication. I've been suffering from GORD symptoms for 6/7 years now, and just been diagnosed properly after having a BRAVO ph study. My consultant has recommended nissen fundoplication, and I just wanted to know from you, as a patient how you felt when you woke up from surgery? i.e were you in alot of pain? was it difficult for you to swallow? I've also read somewhere that a nasal gastric tube will be in place after surgery, is this true? if so how did if feel?and I've also heard that a common downside of having this procedure is that patients get gas bloat, is this mild or severe? (sorry if this appears rude). I'm just a bit scared as I'm also Asthmatic, and don't really know what affect this will have, but if I can just get some sort of insite on how the procedure is, I'll be very grateful.

Thanks

Michelle.......

[i:b8eeed9577]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b8eeed9577]

• Posted

Hi, Michelle, I just had the laproscopic fundoplication yesterday. To be perfectly honest, the pain when I came round was awful, I didn't think it could possibly be worth it, but i am home today, obviously still in pain, and am on strong painkillers, but it wa sooo worth it!!If i try to eat anything with any texture, ie today at lunchtime, i was given a pasta bake type thing, which stuck, so i couldn't eat, but the soup, (with no lumps) and jelly went down a treat, i was so full up afterwards, but with no nausea at all!! I had asthma which was believed to be due to the acid reflux, and i was a bit wheezy, but half hour on a nebulizer i was ok. As for the wind, its not coming up the way, but it is going down the way!!! But considering the pain and distress i have been in, feel this is a small price to pay. I hope this helps, and good luck if you decide to go for it. I have nothing but praise for an excellent surgeon, and a life changing procedure.

Caroline.xxx

[i:ec1adae2f0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:ec1adae2f0]

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your reply. Good to here your recovering well. Hearing this information you've kindly given means alot, as in helping me to prepare for the operation. Currently, I'm on a waiting list which is 2/3 months, but I think it'll be worth the wait. Thankyou kindly, Michelle....

One other question, how long did the operation take? (if known)

[i:ac7f7bb933]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:ac7f7bb933]

• Posted

How has things been so far? I'm on route to starting all these tests to see if I qualify for surgery as my symptoms are unbearable even with strong medication. 

Kim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.