I had a partial knee replacement almost a week ago but in a lot of pain with swelling

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I had a partial knee replacement done just under a week ago and been sent home but have a lot of swelling around mid thigh and soreness in shin area swelling in my ankle and knee both where I had the surgery and behind and having trouble bringing it down to even do my exercises that physio have given me is there a way I can reduce the swelling better and be able to do my exercises easier any comments advice and suggestions are more than welcome I've been using peas for the swelling I'm finding it really hard to cope now

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear SharonBeth1975,

I understand exactly how you feel. What I did was to tie a sash from my bathrobe around my foot to help lift my leg up and down. 

Elevation, ice pack and lymphatic drainage help with the swelling and pain. But at one week post ops, I was still on pain killers. 

The physiotherapy is painful but very rewarding, you must do it. At this stage you may need help and encouragement to do it. 

Please be gentle and careful with the knee, do your physio always 

• Posted

We're you not given an ice pack when you left hospital I was icing every w hours to begin with I'm 8 weeks post op still along way to go yet as still very tight and stiff make sure you take your meds I've been able to reduce mine now take only when needed. It will get easier only been a week pain does ease

• Posted

Sorry icing every 2 hrs
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply no they just sent me home with some paracetamol and codeine and said to use crutches and do my exercises which I have been trying to but with all the stiffness and swelling it's agony and challenging just getting from my sofa to the toilet and back in one piece the ice packs I'm using is actually just frozen peas wrapped in a teatowel though 

• Posted

Where did you have your op my friend went to physio class and she was told to use heat on her knee b4 exercise it apparently warms up the muscle make it easier worth a try
    • Posted

I had my operation done in Bristol in United kingdom they have a physio team but haven't been given much to work with

• Posted

I had mine done in RUH Bath and physio in chippenham hospital I'm surprised they didn't give you an ice pack i would ring them and see if they forgot because it's worth getting it as it's double sided with 2 ice packs 2 either side so soothing

• Posted

I was only given a sheet of paper I used a plastic bag on the floor which helped me to slide my foot back and forward also used it when lying down made it easier to bend knee try it
    • Posted

I had my partial medial done in Leeds end of June and came home with five days of pain killers and nothing else. Just told to try and straighten my knee a much as possible and also bend it as much as possible. I think every hospital must be different in their approach. I did go for physio after ten days which gave me more instruction. Otherwise it was on here and YouTube physics that got me through. My own gp's were difficult to get an appointment with and then only good at issuing pain medication. I bought my ice packs from Amazon and also used a big bag of peas in a tea towel which was more effective as it covered a greater area. You were lucky by the sound of it Denise.

• Posted

You'd think every where would be the same I've got to say I have a luvly physio lady which sadly was my last day with her as start the exercise classes Monday she gave me a massage on my knee and gave me lots of tips I am now using bio oil massaging I to the scar

• Posted

When I went for my operation last Thursday they said 9am I wasn't even seen until 4pm and I wasn't even told what was done because there was so many options and in the end I had to find out from a physio nurse that I had a partial the day after I wasn't even told what they have done weather I have stitches in my knee or something else I still don't know I'm just hoping to get all the info I need as I now got to go back and see the surgeon next week too everything is coming at a cost atm though I gotta even get a mattress topper because it's hurting my back to stay on at night that and other stuff like a plaster cast cover for when I shower and pads for my crutches they hurt my hands to walk with them now

• Posted

Hi Sharon. You are very very early in your recovery so be kind to yourself. Just do as much physio as you can manage and don't forget your pain medication. I am 18 weeks after a partial and remember the early days it did seem to be all pain just waiting for the next pills. There are many exercises on you tube which have great tips. Using a towel or belt to lift your leg if you can't do,it yourself. There is nothing better than icing and elvation which I did several times a day to try and reduce the swelling. It did take time however. At  three weeks I had a straight leg but I took six weeks to get my rom to 125. Lots of people take much longer so I consider myself one of the lucky ones, but hard work is indeed needed. You have had a big operation and your swelling will go down week on week and you will be able to do more and more exercises. Sorry to say it but it all just takes time. 

Good luck 

• Posted

Thank you so much for the information I shall definitely take it on board and hope to get back on my feet quickly I do however have a 6 year old son so it's going to be a challenge for sure 

• Posted

Oh my goodness. A six year old!😊 You have your work cut out a little boy and a knee operation. You definitely need  pain pills to get you through your day and rest whenever he is at school and ice, ice and elevate and then ice some more😬

Dont hesitate to ask me if you need any more information.

I wish you well in your recovery.

• Posted

You are welcome. I'm not in anyway an expert but effort and as much patience as I could muster got me here. At week twelve I went on a months vacation and according to my Fitbit walked 102 miles in the month - well shuffled I suppose, compared to how I used to stride out😊 But looking back I came a long way in three months, although it didn't feel like it at the time. You will have some tough times but will get there in the end. After all you have a little boy to run around after😬

• Posted

Sounds like this is gonna be a tough challenge to get through I think a lot of you tube videos and see if a nurse from my GP practice can come and help or at least advise on what I should do

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.