I had gallbladder out two years ago but have started getting pain again.

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

when I had my gallbladder out it was so full of stones and slush that it flooded into my stomach and I needed a stomach wash.

the surgeon was happy and said all had gone well. However I still was getting mild pain in that area some months later. I had another scan which identified a stone in my gallbladder but I knew I didn't have a gallbladder.

i git appointment to see original surgeon again. He explained that because all the stones were gushing out that he had removed gallbladder but tied off a small piece near to duct, he said that this small flap had a small old stone in it and that I would be fine.

i have been fine for two years now and have had no pain and can basically eat anything. 

However, I was out for a meal recently and did over indulged on cream, which generally I avoid but miss. Subsequently I have been getting dull pain in my gallbladder region, under right ribs at front and back.

although I have been eating a good diet now, the pain isn't going and I'm not sure whether I should wait and see or get in touch with doctor again as I certainly don't want to suffer the full blown agony that I previously had with gallstones as I know waiting lists are very long.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

mon

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Monica,

Get back to your Doctor now Lovely.

That doesn't sound good.

Don't worry about waiting lists and stuff. 

I think you know yourself you need to get seen again.

I had mine out 2 years ago and had a difficult operation.

I've been ill again since January.  I've just been diagnosed with a post operative mass and have been waiting to see a Surgeon.

If you have issues after like we are having, they don't get better.

Please get looked at.

Take good care.

• Posted

Thankyou,

if it hasn't settled by tomorrow, I will. I have a great GP and I'm sure she will give me good advice. 

Hope your troubles are sorted quickly too, it's so dibilitating at its worst.

• Posted

I had my GB out about 2 years ago too, and until a couple of weeks ago I had been careful with my diet as always.  I have been on low fat diet for years due to family history of heart disease, but recently I had a meal at a friends house and it was a cream laden fish pie.  I took the risk and paid for it.  Indigestion in chest and between shoulder blades and dull pain under right ribs for almost 2 weeks.  But it did eventually settle.  I have learnt my lesson.  Cream is off the menu for the rest of my life!  If antacids relieve the problem, even if only for a short time, I would say the cream is the culprit.  If antacids don't have any effect, then perhaps a check up with your doctor might be wise.
    • Posted

Thank you Susan. Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I have been on 5:2 diet for a year now and usually eat clean food but sometimes I get cravings for certain things I haven't had for ages like cream...I should know better. It does sound like the culprit but if it doesn't settle in next day or two, I will go gave to doctor.

thanks for support.

• Posted

Hi Monica sorry to hear you suffering again. I find it odd that your surgeon Left a gallstone inside you even though it's been tied off. Would that be causing your pain? Cream is very hard on the digestive system and a lot of us who had the gallbladder removed can't tolerate it. I had mine removed in December and it hasn't been a good experience with pain nausea vomiting and diarrhoea. However I started taking milk thistle 7 weeks ago on the advise of my acupuncturist and am remarkably better since I started taking it. A lot of people who have digestive issues after gallbladder removal take milk thistle. It works by detoxing the liver and helps it clear any excess toxins. Once the liver is working more efficiently the digestive system will work better too as they are closely linked. I have no indigestion since I started taking it and can eat anything now although I haven't tried cream!! It helps with indigestion too. Also digestive enzymes are good too for those of us without gallbladders and can help break down the food we eat. Both are worth trying. If the pain persists I would go back to your doctor. X
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I think the surgeon didn't realise he had left a stone in as all the spillage came out so quickly and he wanted to make sure that none went into the gall duct.

i think I have brought this on myself as it settled so well and the majority of the time I eat sensible food, low fat etc but sometimes I take risks with things and just recently have been dining out more than usually as we have been on holiday. About a week ago I did have too much cream and that has obviously irritated it and is taking a while to settle. I can put up with it and hope the pain goes in the next couple of days but if it doesn't, I will go back to the doctors.

think I was over confident that I could eat anything I want...I'll be more careful now.

thanks for advice about thistle milk, I will bear it in mind. My indigestion is fine, it's just the full aching pain which I have had for three days now.

hope you continue to improve.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up