I had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago .

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago and today I have violent diarrhoea? 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Did you eat something different that you haven't had since before your surgery? I had mine out 3 weeks ago as well and I'm discovering some things set off my diarrhoea and once it starts it lasts for a few days. Could also be unrelated to the surgery, maybe a tummy bug? I let my dr know and she said it's normal whilst your body adjusts just make sure you keep your fluids up.

• Posted

It's wise to avoid fatty foods for a while. Also eat smaller meals and not eat too much fat at one meal. Try gradually increasing fibre, in your diet as this helps soak up excess bile that is a cause of post cholecystectomy diarrhoea.

Hope this helps!

• Posted

Hi I did even though I don't eat fats any more my GP said that's normal if it doesn't last more than a week mine came after 3 weeks don't worry it will settle x

• Posted

I was prescribed Omeprazole whilst in hospital to aid digestion. Don't know if that may help you but you could ask GP. Also maybe your digestive system does need time to settle down? You've had part of it removed and the other organs in the system need to get used to doing without a gallbladder. I think most people experience digestive issues including diarrhoea during the recovery period, but it will eventually settle down if you avoid too much fat and spicy foods, eat smaller meals and include fibre in the diet. Stay positive. Being anxious can exacerbate tummy upsets. I'd only be worried if it continues after about three months post operative.

Hope your feeling better soon.

• Posted

Mine was removed four weeks ago. I can eat most things it seems, except sausage rolls, pies etc., which I shouldn't eat anyway. My main concern is swelling all along the top of the scar. Open surgery and the staples are out. Not a pretty sight. Sorry...

• Posted

I'm no expert, but it looks like your scar is healing well. I'm 3-4 months post op and mine looks similar. Mine is horizontal, about 10 inches long curving down slightly on rh side. I had wound infection, but it has settled and scar is starting to fade. Hard to tell from photo but swelling could be a hernia?? You could try asking you GP practice nurse to take a look if you are concerned. It may also be scar tissue especially if it is running the whole length of the scar. This is normal. Mine is feeling softer now, but at first looked like I had a rolled up towel around my middle! I have numbness on rh side which will probably remain (I did have 2 surgeries through same incision and reconstruction of bile duct) and there is still tenderness. At first I couldn't lie on tummy or rh side but I'm able to now. Hope this helps settle your mind, but if not get nurse to take a look.

• Posted

Thanks. I'll ask next time I see someone. I'm due to see the actual surgeon early July, so probably best to wait until then. Sounds like you've been through a bit but you are being positive about it all. I'm a bit nervous about things since bowel surgery 43 months ago. Thanks again. 

• Posted

It wasn't as bad as it sounds, John. I just sort of switched off.

My family have been really supportive. Daughter 1 and her husband did some gardening, daughter 2 did all our ironing for weeks, and my poor husband did everything else including cooking (we had a lot of Marks and Spencer count on us ready meals!). Both our girls work full time and have five children between them, so I am very grateful to them.

I feel I'm over the worst, cancer-free at present and intending to stay that way!!

• Posted

Great to have the family support! My wife is very supportive but is physically limited and uses a wheelchair. No children but helpful neighbours. Just interested, what was the cancer? None of my business of course, but again, you are very positive about your recovery. I'm getting counselling about my anxiety, even though I'm cancer free after over 3 1/2 years. Thanks for your help. confused

• Posted

I had gallbladder cancer. Luckily, it doesn't seem to have spread but I have to have six monthly check ups and scans for two years, then annually, but I suppose you're having similar?

One in three people have this diagnosis at some point in their lives, so we are not alone. Daughter 1 (nurse) thinks I may need counselling. I don't feel I do. Daughter 2 says she thinks she needs counselling more than me! Daugjter 1 keeps telling me I'm cured, but when you come from my generation (I'm 67) you have a different outlook about cancer. I am a little nervous that it may come back. I had a cough a week or two back and I did wonder if it could be lung cancer, but the cough has gone. You just can't help thinking this way when you've had a scare, can you?

I see my surgeon again in September. No doubt I'll get a bit nervous leading up to that.

• Posted

Yes, the waiting, results and approaching appts are always a worry! My cancer was bowel cancer, a blockage and emergency surgery. The check ups went from 3 monthly to 6 and are now yearly. I have a colonoscopy at the end of the year. Blood tests 6 monthly. But all good so far. I was 68 when it was diagnosed. But every little niggle is a worry for me too. I have 3 free counselling sessions and get support from the Cancer Society here. My gb showed no sign of malignancy. All the best. P.S. I don't know yet what follow up there will be for the gb surgery, if any. 

• Posted

I think normally there's just the one in U.K. unless there are problems like a hernia or post cholecystectomy symptoms. They just ask a few questions (like are you passing urine, opening bowels ok etc) and take a look at the scar.

I know a few people who've had this surgery and all are back to normal, eating everything and without any issues. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you seeing your surgeon.

• Posted

Thank you. I wish it was this week. My bowel movements have not been good since half was removed just over 3 1/2 years ago. But my Dr says that's normal for me. I do take a fibre supplement but not since the gb surgery. I'm tempted to start it again. I live in New Zealand, but I suppose the follow up routines are similar to the UK. A power cut scheduled from 9 am to 4 pm today and it was the coldest night of the year last night! Oh well...rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.