I had my gallbladder removed almost three years ago, and...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I had my gallbladder removed almost three years ago, and all went well. I have had diarrhoea most of the time since my operation, but that doesn't bother me as much as the medicine that would get rid of it.

Around three months after the surgery, I started having some wierd attacks that sometimes occur after fatty foods (mostly tortilla chips or japanese food). The attacks come on suddenly and are quite painful. It starts out as heavy pressure in the chest and upper abdomen, and after around five minutes, the pain goes to my middle abdomen. When this happens, I don't want to talk, I am very nautseous, and I sweat. It is very scary, but it usually goes away after around twenty minutes. When it is over, I can eat whatever I want. It is so uncomfortable that if it were to last for much more time, I would definately go to the ER.

Last night, I had an attack, and for the first time, it made me throw up. I thought that I was going to pass out, but I didn't. I have wondered if I am experiencing gallstone attacks that can occur without a gallbladder. I also have Crohn's Disease, but that is under control (Remicade), and these attacks don't remind me of anything that I have experienced from Crohn's.

Any ideas for me? Thank you!

[i:98a95f2aab]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:98a95f2aab]

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My daughter had her gall bladder removed 9 months ago, she is only 17.

She has had some pain since then and was told that it could be scar tissue.

Over Christmas the pain got a lot worse, and last week she was doubled over in pain and crying uncontrolably. My dad took one look at her and took her straight to A & E they kept her in whilst they did tests for kidney stones. The tests were all fine, and she was discharged, vomitting all the way home in the car.

I have since had her referred back to the surgeon, and after speaking to the secretary, have now mananged to get to see him in the next 10 days which is marvellous.

What do you think is causing this pain, as you seem to be the same?

She tells me the pain is worse than before she had her operation.

Regards

Allison

[i:f2cdb246b1]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f2cdb246b1]

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed 33 years ago (I am 57). For the past 10-15 years I've had the same symptoms that prompted me to have my gallbladder removed back then.

Here's the kicker. I went to a naturopath about 20 months ago for another medical reason the doctors just couldn't seem to help me with. That is another story.

She told me that my liver and gallbladder were off/inflamed/etc. I told her I did not have a gallbladder, and she said "yes you do". Long story short...She explained how people's bodies develop another gallbladder within the bile duct, forming a pouch, which acts and functions like a gallbladder,thus, susceptable to the same problems.

I had my doubts until 2 weeks ago. She had me do the "Liver/Gallbladder" flush. (Look that up on the Internet) The results were astounding! I passed a huge amount of stones, and several quite large ones (twice the size of huge concord grapes). I doubted that I would pass anything, but the proof was there. (yep, I took pictures) The stones are a bright, pea green, and they float...Go figure gang....I feel much better now, and am thankful there is another route to go when the one I was on wasn't working for me.:magic:

[i:3a9b4942db]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:3a9b4942db]

• Posted

Hi

I had my gb removed in December, after 4 years of pain.

Last week i had what felt like 5 gall bladder attacks in one day. I spoke to a pharmacist who advised that you can suffer after pains up to a year later - the surgeon did not tell me that.

I was sweating, turned white, had severe pain under on my right under the rib cage with pains in my shoulders. I thought that i would be pain free after this op...

[i:9e20f22502]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:9e20f22502]

• Posted

I'm so glad I found this site. I had my gall bladder removed 16 months ago and still get the same pains not always as severe as before but bad enough to still be taking strong pain killers, I too have been told it is scar tissue. When I asked should I continue with my low fat diet after my op all that was said was 'we recommend a low fat diet regardless'. No one said I would continue to get pain after eating forbiden food or that I wouldn't be able to pick anything heavier than a bag of shopping up. I can't even walk my dog incase he pulls me otherwise I'd be in agony for days.

I'm sorry some of you are suffering the same pain as before your ops but its a comfort to know I'm not on my own :roll:

[i:1ffa71e955]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:1ffa71e955]

• Posted

I'm glad i found this site, I had my gallbladder removed Oct/05. I had keyhole surgery and for a while felt ok, some slight pain but nothing i couldnt cope with, now however my pain has returned full force, jus like when I did have a gallbladder. For the past 5days i've been in agony, pains in my stomach, chest, back, I would love to know what this is, and what is going on. No one told me about this. Should I do the gallbladder flush? Can anyone give me advise....please.

[i:09bccf192e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:09bccf192e]

• Posted

I HAD MY GALLBLADDER REMOVED 8 YEARS AGO AT THE AGE OF 38YRS VIA KEYHOLE SURGERY, THIS FOLLOWED 2 YEARS OF ANTI ACIDS AS MY GP SAID THAT I WAS TO YOUNG TO HAVE GALLSTONES. MY GALLBLADDER WAS FULL OF STONES AND ACCORDING TO MY SURGEON I HAD MANY ADHESIONS. BUT UNFORTUNATELY I AM STILL EXPERIENCING ALL THE PRE 0P SYMPTOMS I.E INDIGESTION, HEARTBURN, RIGHT SIDED TENDERNESS UNDER DIAPHRAGM AND TENDERNESS ALONG SPINE BETWEEN SHOULDER BLADES, BUT MY GP JUST SAYS THAT IT IS ANATOMICAL AND PRESCRIBES MORE ANTI ACIDS. BUT THE PAIN IS BECOMING DISTRESSING, ANY SUGESTIONS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

REGARDS

SUE

[i:ef72a93648]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:ef72a93648]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.