I had the HoLEP procedure on June 30

Posted , 5 users are following.

For anyone wanting to know more about my experience I would be pleased to answer any questions.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi James, where did you have it done, how is the bleeding and urgency from the procedure, and has there been any improvement in your flow and ability to void yet? It is too early to know anything for sure about sexual effects yet I'm sure . Not even quite a week...

But thanks for providing all of us some real life feedback on How wep so far

Lawrence06345

• Posted

I live on Long Island, New York State and had the surgery at North Shore Long Island Jewish Medical Center ( AKA Northwell Health ). Since I just had the Foley removed I can't  report much. But will post my recovery as it happens.

• Edited

Hi James.  Just a word of advice on post HoLEP activity.  I had my HoLEP caried out at Addenbrookes, UK last November and was blood free after a couple of days but on day 11 I did some strenuous work which resulted in my having a hemorrhage which required a 7 day stay in hospital before I was blood and clot free again  Statiscally only 2-3% suffer from such after effects and as I was to blame I don't mind being a statistic.  Take it easy and welcome to the HoLEP club.

• Posted

Thanks for the very good advise! Was in to see my Dr. this morning for follow up and removal of the Foley Cath. 

I will take it real easy for the next month at least.

• Posted

James, you've got my curiosity roused now when you say you your catherter removed today. Everyone I know over here who had their HoLEP carried out at Addenbrookes went home the same day without a catheter. Makes me wonder if your doctors in the US vie on the side of caution and catheterise to allow clots to form without being dislodged by the flow of urine which in my case was just like an eighteen year old's flow right after the procedure. Of course I could be suspicious of your medical services who see leaving a catheter in and then removing it after a few days as a money spinner to milk more money out of you!

• Posted

Could be that one size does not fit all as they say.
    • Posted

I think your NHS is bound to that type of turn around.  No way could I have gone home same day. The clinical language for this procedure is "laser enucleation of prostate with morcellation" a thulium laser was used. My prostate size was 80 grams.

• Posted

Hi James- Good Luck to you. 

If I may I would like to ask how big was your prostate before and the reduction? I am also, like Lawrence, interested in any side affects and the quality of life improvement you see. Always like real life feedback

I am looking for alternatives for my prostate issue. 

thanks and take care

• Posted

80 Grams. At this stage I can't report negative side effects but the positive was felt at my first trip to th toilet. The pee came out with such force actually scared me for a moment. So many years with slow to no go this was a real pleasure. I don't think I have peed like that since I was sixteen. The surgery report describes my prostate as "massive". While in the alternative's search part of my final choice I had tried diet, exercise, OTC drugs, and of course Tamsulosin. Also Trans Urethral Microwave Thermal Therapy and self catheterising (CIC). Four trips to the ER and at last count five Foley Catheters. In the final weeks leading to the HoLEP which by the way a Thulium Laser was used not Holmium I was in line for a "simple open prostatectomy", Robot assisted simple prostatectomy, and the final choice was the "laser enucleation of the prostate with morcellation". No cancer per clinical evaluation.

• Posted

All I have to say is that I hope your happy with the procedure. I am not a fan of any procedure that will give you retro.  I will not give up one function for another.  Good luck  Ken. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.