I had tkr done 7 months ago on l and 6 months ago on r but can't sit for more than 5-6 hours a day ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This is stressing me out so much. Has anyone else had this problem with their recovery?

1 like, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi cookie

dont know if this info is any good to you as your obviously more experienced than me but are you elevating your legs when sitting and using ice packs .

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's standard office chairs u know how those are and I elevate the whole time I'm there and ice. Yes those 1st few steps I have to hold onto the desk when I get up for a few seconds to load I get my bearings. I work 5 -6 hrs a day but can't go longer its very uncomfortable and the pain hurts from bending my knees for so long. I even do knee bends under my desk. I'm trying to get long term disability until I can go longer and work 8 hours but I'm pretty sure they will deny me and won't pay for benefits so I'm going to be forced to be on pain for a longer period of time. Its very frustrating and stressful

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

How long from TKR to return to work?  Lots of people go back to work waaaaay too soon and have similar problems.

At 5 weeks, I developed sciatica because my SI joints locked up and my hips were out of alignment.  Sitting in a chair was fine...sitting in a car was HORRENDOUS!!!  Chiropractor said it's all about angles, so I changed the seat configuration and it helped.  Took a while to get rid of the sciatica.

Lesson: You probably need a different (ergonomic?) chair...for now.  If you work in an office, they probably have various types of chairs...try some out.  Do this a day at a time and you might find a solution.  Sitting there in pain and taking meds long term is not a good path to follow.

For all of us, this is frustrating and stressful.  The idea is not to add more stress to the situation.  You already know that the knee heals very slowly and that pushing it can set you back.  Don't do dat.  Put your energy into healing and not stress...which does zero good anyway.  Deep breath.  What can you do (or be done) to make this better?  Think.  It's solution time.  And ease off the gas pedal...this may help a bit...

http://patient.info/forums/discuss/two-guys-with-canes-limp-into-a-bar--534980

We've all been there or are in the middle of it just like you...

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No the chairs are not urgonomically correct but with 360 plus in my dept they are not going to buy new chairs. I'm fighting to get long term disability but I'm sure I'm going to lose because they consider my job sedentary, I work with phone and computers in a call center and it's the sitting for too long that is where the pain is

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Also 7+ months p/o.  I can sit for a while but have to get up and move from time to time.  When I do get up, the first few steps are always an...ummm...adventure.  I figure that will dissipate as I get stronger.  Do you have an uncomfortable chair that you're using?  Is it sitting in specific places that bother you?  Bed a problem?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I found that in the very beginning in hospital. I just couldn't sit with out a dull pain in the leg.  I'm now six weeks on and have been to my Physio and we've been treating my back and the sciatic nerve. Imagine the way we wLked prior to surgery. Often favouring the better leg and developing a gait when we walk.  So I am having Physio to relieve the pain. So far so good. Less pain and sitting longer.  Also taking magnesium has helped with my restless leg that has the new knee replacement. Open this helps 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up