I HATE EYE FLOATERS SO MUCH PANIC! :(((

Posted , 17 users are following.

I know Ive posted about this a million times I guess this is just an update.

I went to the optamolagist and they dialated my eyes, checked my floaters. said there's no tears anywhere at all and I have dry eye.

OK, so I look in the mirror and feel like one of my pupils is still bigger than the other. it's been 2 days. so that's making me anxious, ALSO even though the doc said everything looks perfect I STILL find myself STARING into the sky mid convo with someone following my floaters around. THERES SO MANY, I'm only 22. sad((( I can't even imagine the rest of my life dealing with them. I KNOW something has to make them less noticeable at least. or take my mind off them.

talking about it helps, please reply. anyone. this is making me so depressed. I also have these shadow floaters that are huge and just float across. I notice more when I squint too. i want to stop everyday being so obsessive about them.

please please help. and does anyone else have shadow floaters? that are kinda big.

anytbing I can do to help my overall eyesight too?

1 like, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are you taking any medications? I had floaters when I was taking Amiodarone. They went soon after I stopped the drug.
    • Posted

nothing other than birth control and I noticed my first two floaters before I started it.
  • Posted

Yes,i have floaters,i like you am aware of them 24/7,i had small black speck floaters at your age,i could deal with those,but mine arent like that anymore,im sorry you have this at such an early age,i could ignore the little ones,but mine are now very notocable especially in certain lighting. Mine have become worse the past few years,id say you are young,try not to concentrate on them,i used to be able to block them out,hopefully you can too. Causes me much unneeded anxiety,but when i see them,my vision is sometimes blurred from them,hard to enjoy things when it interferes with your vision.Xx
  • Posted

And yes i have the shadow floaters too.
  • Posted

As long as you remain anxious & frustrated by them, you will notice them much more. You have to try not to be bothered by them, but I know this is much easier said than done. I wear dark sunglasses outside all of the time as this makes them less noticeable. It's good that you don't have any retinal tears or anything. I, too, have dry eyes and this can be a real pain. Are you using eye drops for this? They do help a lot. If you try as best you can to just the floaters be, without reacting or obsessing, I bet over time you will find that you notice them less and less. All the best x

• Posted

HEllo

I am 33 and I get them a lot. I do have a retinal tear in my left eye. But I try not to focus on them much. I have dry eye too and i find using drops

Definitely helps.

Your brain should learn to ignore them x

• Posted

I understand your frustration! I had terrible floaters that were blocking my vision.  Drs are now, lasering them.  My local dr's didn't know about laser, so i went to the nearest big city.  They were just starting laser treatment, but said mine were too big for them to fix.  I ended up going to CA, to a dr who has been doing laser on floaters for yrs...that's all he does, and it broke up my floaters so that i can see again.  I would check into it before getting the surgery that they have for them. Hope this info helps, i know how distracting floaters can be!!!

• Posted

Hi anxious247

Let me tell you about my eye floaters.

I am 34 and female. I used to have crystal clear vision and didn't even know what a floater was. As far as experiencing one at least.

Suddenly I had a large set of dark, shadow floaters. Cobwebs, bug floaters and black ones.

They really upset me, so I paid to see a private ophthalmologist. This was actually in relation to something else, but I had them checked none the less.

There's nothing that can be done about these irritating things! Only a victrectomy, which isn't routinely carried out for floaters unless vision is severely impaired.

Now, let me tell you something. I myself spent far too much of my life looking at these annoying things. I thought it was because I couldn't avoid them.... I thought.

One day I decided enough was enough and tried to ignore them. Impossible. Day 2 impossible. Day 3 impossible.... Then.... I didn't notice them as much. I continued to ignore them.

My floaters are quite bad. But I don't see them anymore unless I purposefully look for them. Your brain learns to ignore them. This information was given to me by the eye surgeon I saw. And she was right.

Relax, if you can. Your vision will be fine and eventually you'll learn to cope with them and it will seem normal to you again.

• Posted

I appreciate the response. for the most part, I don't see all of them like i use to because I stopped looking for them. Unfortunately there's one BIGGGG cobweb one in the center of my vision every now and then, I wonder if it'll ever get smaller. I've had it since I was like 13 it use to be small but got really big... any ideas why they change size and if it'll ever get smaller again?

• Posted

I am going through the same thing and I am obsessing over them with horrible anxiety. I've had floaters since my mid 20's and I'm 35 now. I have anxiety issues so not sure if I just noticed them more a few days ago and now I'm obsessed or if there are actually more. Ugh. How are your eyes now??

• Posted

Charlsie03527

I understand why you must be feeling anxious. Please let me reassure you, eye floaters are benign. If you are worried about retinal detachment you are looking at the wrong symptoms.

I have a combination of cobweb, stringy, dark shadow and buggy eye floaters. I also have permanent flashing lights and see stars and colours.

I've seen an ophthalmologist surgeon at one of the countries leading teaching eye hospitals... Let me tell you, floaters are completely harmless. They are annoying but you must try to see through them and forget about them. I have them permanently in my vision but I've learn to ignore them.

Don't be anxious! Floaters will not hurt you.

• Posted

hi,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I now try not to think about them as much since seeing my optamalogist, she dialated my eyes and told me everything was healthy. My floaters, although I have ALOT aren't a harm to my vision, just annoying. I will go back in a year and check again. It gives me anxiety some says more than others. I live on a lake so it's very bright all the time, so when I go outide to play with my dogs or to look at the water they get in the way and it's really discouraging.. I'm still trying to cope with it although its gotten tons better. I also every now and then see small flashes of light, very small but I notice if theres white walls around me or if I'm looking at the comp screen. Know you're not alone, and I know it sounds hard but ignore them... the best you can. Excersise can help anxiety, so maybe try treating that the best you can and see if it helps. See a doctor as well, it can ease your mind! Let me know how it goes for you! I'm sure you're fine, I'm just thankful to be able to see and be healthy!!

Have you heard of any medicines that may make them less noticable? 

• Posted

Donna,

I have exactly what you're describing too. It's discouraging because I'm 22 and I feel like it's a little young for sooooo many.... I've been ignoring them the best I can but still freak out a little when I see a big one. Have you heard of anything at all to make them lighter/smaller/anything? Or to prevent future ones??? I feel like there MUST BE SOMETHING.

Thank you, again.... 

• Posted

Bless you. Regrettably, no there isn't anything you can do at home to rid yourself of the annoyance of the pesky things. Inside your eye is a jelly called the vitreous. Over time this liquifies and becomes more watery and shifty. Once this process begins there isn't anything that can be done about it, though rest assured it happens to us all. It just affects some people more than others, that's just the luck of our draw. We got the floaters to boot.

The flashing lights you mention is something I'm all too familiar with. I have this all day and night, every day. Once again, the vitreous begins to liquify and shrink and as this happens it's movement can stimulate the retina, sending signals to the brain that it has seen light. This is most commonly seen in the peripheral vision. Again, nothing can be done however, this has been known in time to get better.

Your floaters are going to have to become your new normal my friend. Believe me, there's much worse things to live with.

I give mine names, it helped me accept they're just part of me now ?

• Posted

There are new laser treatments that can break up the floaters.  I had it done, and it has helped so much. 
    • Posted

Sometimes they are not just bothersome, but can block parts of your vision especially when they are "stuck" in the same place and don't seem to want to move.  I couldn't see to drive at night, all the lights were a blur-also couldn't read a computer screen.  I did not want the surgery where they take all the "Jell" out of your eye and replace it with saline.  That was the only option i was given, until i researched it more, and found the new laser treatments. The floaters don't disappear, they are just broken up enough so they don't block your vision. Good luck, i know how annoying they can be!

• Posted

This is correct. I believe The London Eye Clinic offer a private service at about £1000 per eye which involves successfully treating and breaking down the affected vitreous of the eye(s).

Perhaps this is something you can save for? However I would be tempted to monitor the progress for longer if you can. And perhaps treat it a little later in life, depending on how greatly it affects you. Either way, as bothersome as they are, they're incredibly common so you are not alone ? one of life's curved balls. And they certainly won't cause you any physical harm, just annoyance and anxiety if you are susceptible. Try and see if you can put it behind you and learn to forget. If not, then as above, I'd research laser surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.