I hate having depression

Posted , 7 users are following.

It's almost 3am and Ive been awake a couple of hours now with panicky feelings and jumbled thoughts. I switched to sertraline 2 weeks ago after being on citalopram for 6 years and to be honest at the moment I don't think it's worth going through these side effects, and I'm only on 25mg!  I'm going to switch bac to half dose citalopram in the morning and maybe try again after Xmas. Just really wanted to say that having depression sucks! I guess I'm having trouble accepting it at the moment? 

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi heather i understand your problem but your best not.to discontinue without seeing your doctor first as you can get bad reactions or withdrawal ! It maybe that you need to give the new med more time to work ! I was on citalopram  for a number of years and had to go on to venefalaxine  which after increases in the doseage over time im now on 225 mg but they do help ! Take care and let. Us know how you get on  (david)
    • Posted

hey I have a quick question when you start using citalopram how long it takes to work some people said antidepressiong start work after two weeks other four and some eight i just wonder to see when my boyfriend will feel a bit fine again?
  • Posted

Im so sorry to hear that I hope you feel better soon 

did you try CBT therapy?

• Posted

Thanks for your comments all. I have had lots of different therapies Jessica including cbt. I'm very lucky to work in a place where I have lots of support in that respect. I didn't get any side effects from citalopram and I switched because Ifelt like I wasn't getting anywhere although I didn't feel as depressed as I do now! In answer to your question citalopram started working straight away for me.

and Magnus I don't understand your comment. I doesn't sound very supportive though so you might be better off not saying anything at all. 

• Posted

I know how you feel I hate depression too..

dont you think people whether family or not expect you to behave like we use too

i want to behave like we use too... Can we help it if our brain decides to break down

i can't control it. I have been trying to control it before but without realising it 

I couldn't pretend smile to the world outside smile and be happy.

no I can't do what the world expects us too...

so we have to give in to what our minds say sometimes just do nothing find your way 

slowly. Relax when you can. 

• Posted

Good advice! I actually don't see much of my 'old' family as I find it quite hard to be around them so I concentrate my efforts on my beautiful children and grandchildren and no longer apologise for the way I am.  I can't help having this illness but I can help how I deal with it. Started back on half dose citalopram this morning by the way and feeling much better now. 
    • Posted

We know our bodies and minds better than anybody so you must do what you feel is right. I'm a strong believer in intuition and going with my gut feelings.

I wish I had gone with that with the first med they put me on. It didn't feel right from about week 2 but I stuck with it for 8 weeks,willing and hoping for it to work when deep down I knew it was making things worse. Over and over I must of said "give it one more week,it'll settle down",it didn't!!! My new med...I'm far from being where I want to be but something just feels right. I have days that are horrendous but still,something is telling me to stick with it.

xx

• Posted

I'm dealing depression atm, it sucks. The worst part is, even though you try how to act cool, smile and happy, inside its still melting you down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.