I have a diagnosis of Graves desease and underwent radioiodine treatment 2 months ago

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am now taking Levothyroxin (50 micrograms) daily. Does this mean I'm cured of Graves and now basically hypothyroid or does 'Graves' have the ability to cause other problems?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

RAI does not cure Graves and yes Graves has the ability to cause other problems like Graves eye disease.
    • Posted

Thanks Linda for reminding me, I should have remembered that threat as my sister has developed glaucoma. Luckily I don't have any signs of eye desease, but do have swelling and pain in my legs and was wondering if this may improve now?
  • Posted

Hi Janice, I hve Graves disease too and possibly going to get the Radio iodine in a couple of months as I am scared of a relapse. Just wondering how do you feel now 2 months later? Any regrets? Have you any signs of weight gain since being Under Active? Do you feel better?

Sorry very personal questions and not answering your question above.

regards Emily

• Posted

Hi Emily, I have no regrets so far. I decided it was by far a better option than surgery further down the road. I feel more like my old self, still having trouble loosing weight and still have swelling and pain in my legs but my mood swings tiredness are so much improved.
  • Posted

Thanks Janice for your reply, it has really helped me. I wish you all the best and I hope your leg swelling gets better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.