I have a friend who is severly depressed. And is having a drug problem can I please have some help?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I have made a friend and I was lucky enough to meet her and hopefully help. She has been depressed and has gone to the doctors and been given drugs for it, Zoloft. Anyway that is not the problem I think I can help her with that easily.... The real problem is that she is addicted to drugs that are not good.... I dont know what they are yet but I think I have been able to push her to try to stop and I want to help as much as I can and give her a good plan of how to get off of them as easily as posible. Can someone please help me? And I am unable to get any offical help becuase of her situation. I realy want to help.

1 like, 14 replies

Report / Delete

14 Replies

• Posted

Your friend is an addict.the ONLY way the addict can become clean is to take the 1st step= To 101% "WANT" to be clean! not 99%!.To relapse..is at every step they now take..for life.The temptation will allways be there thus..the social circle she now mixes with must be broken permanently.I doubt even though your actions are with good intent..are you going to be her savior.The addict MUST have simultaneous medical intervention and supervision for any chance to succeed.You alone cannot supply that.Unfortunately if you allow an open door policy to your own home enviorment..be prepared for deceipt!because...the addict will use everything..emotion & sympathy....to feed the addiction.If the addict themselves has tried and failed numerous times before to resolve the addiction,what makes you think you can succeed ?  I assume you are drug free etc...your social life+ascosciates are drug free.The addicts IS NOT!nor will be unless they choose to cross the bridge to be 100% cured.Without self determination the addict will be for ever entwined.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for the response. Yeah I know that she will have to want to change 101% she has been very open with her life and what has happened with me. From what I can tell she has lost all selfesteam. I am right now focusing on building that up, being here for her sense she honestly has no one else to go to. And she seems to realy want my help. I will try to do this on my own with her first, I know you said that it won't succeed but it will also be me and my whole family. I have invited her to come over to get away from her at home environment sense I feel that is contributing to alot of this. I am gonna be honest with you. This is not an individual who found her way to this. She is a junior in high-school and I am a senior. She got this from her family. This is a reason why just going to the doctors about this wouldn't work, I have no clue how her family would react to it and well I don't want to take that chance unless absolutely nessasary 250% maybe if it works well with my parents and her I could get some of my other family involved, I do have a few doctors in it.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

If she has low self esteem...seeing herself in the light as others see her etc..Maybe,that is enough for her to try.To begin to.. start upon the road to recovery.If..your family support,show a supportive role etc.

If her family background has "influenced" her...reason for her present condition,then they cannot be supportive!Since they have spiralled out of control regarding there own way of life etc..How can they positively help her.They have accepted there "condition" as the norm.=They cannot help her to recover.She alone must decide for herself.,take the steps  for her future.

Temptation is allways just a phone call away.,but if she remains in her home enviorement etc,relapse will be too easy.She must leave, move away from her family's influence.To remain as is,... any positive  intervention/progress will be near futile.The addiction will overcome everything there.The solution would be that she must leave,..& recover fully..elsewhere.

If recovery IS what she wants then she must take all the steps necessery to do so  & ABIDE 100% by them.Staying,remaining,.. in the home enviorement(its negativity)..  even with medical intervention will not aid suitable recovery here.She must sever the addiction & all it entails.There is no other route to follow.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ok, thanks I will do the best I can for her. That is about all I can do. I will push her to do what she can, I will tell her that she is truly and amazing person and that whatever other people tell her, if it is negative is not right.... I will support her and help her through this.... Now what would be considered addiction? Are there different levels for how common she uses them? And if she is using like 6 different drugs what should you start with? Trying to cut them all off at once doesn't seem the smartest, should you try to cut one or two of the most dangerous and work your way down the list? Not go completely cold turcky?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It all depends what drugs She has been taking and how long She has been taking it.

She may need treatment to withdraw from the drug She has been taking

BOB

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

A) if the drug(s) are prescribed by a Doctor for particular "Ailments" then it is wise to know (1) what they are prescribed for?(2) to follow the doctors instructions etc.

if the medication IS NOT prescribed by a(any) Doctor the obvious ? is WHY are they being taken  by the person concerned ?

If the "patient" is taking medication that is not prescribed/Advised by a Doctor etc then the additional medication Will/MAY have very adverse effects...Combined with other drugs!It will be negatively accumalative!/serious physical  health/mental implications here.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I am gonna tell you all anyway.... Maybe someone can give me some advice. They are smoked and they are ice, weed, normal cigarettes, coke, meth, and heroine.... She is a hurt person and needs help. I would to to a doctor but her family is I believe the same and they may make her life more of a living hell. She says that she has been smoking in general for 2 years, I assume not all of them for 2 years, probably a process to get to this point. And says it is done a few times a month so not like a daily thing... More recreational I guess.... But still not good at all. I don't know if it has passed to be a complete addict. She wants help from me and is surprised that I care so much.... I just see alot of potential in her.... She is so much like me in many ways, I could see how I could be in the same situation if I lived in a different household. Anyway I have been thinking that we should kill the heroin asap sense that is the most dangerous, and in some way it might be good that she is smoking like normal cigarettes sense we could possibly transfer the addiction to them sense they are not nessasaraly as dangerous and could switch to e cigarettes maybe.... That is just my idea I proposed that to her and asked if that sounded good and she said yes. She is a sweet girl who is just in a bad situation I am going to try to get her away from any bad influences with friends and keep her away from some influences with her family show her how my family is which is completly drug and alcohol free. I feel that will be best so she can experience how life can be.... Any advice please. Thank you all for the help.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Financialy...All EXPENSIVE addictions=How does she finance her habit?...How does the family finance their addictions?....99% of the drugs listed are a heavy financial toll.Obviously the "visitors" to the house are participating & supplying etc etc etc.

Common sense prevails here...who is fooling who!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Depending on the group of drugs been taken it may be a good idea to go into A and E. Because there could be complications and withdrawal of the drug may be problematic and dangerous.

Some street drugs may not be pure or be adulterated, Take here to Hospital

BOB

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ok, if complications do arrive I will be sure to bring her directly to the hospital, she has been doing it for 2 or so years so I would hope that it wont become bad now, and she isn't doing it like daily.... So I think it might be a good idea to do some sort of weening process to it, take one out of the equation over time so it won't be as hard hitting on her system, and maybe not take it out instantly, just decrease the dosage or the frequency of use till it is zero, like you'd do with a prescription drug, would that work? Does that all sound good? It just doesn't sound safe to kill it Cole turky sense we may not be able to get meds to help.... Idk.... I'll talk to her more about it next time I talk with her.... But what do you think about what I said?

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up