I have a pain on my right heel

Posted , 3 users are following.

Good day to all, is any one can tell me about my problem and what maybe the cause of this....I have a very sore heel in the morning and i am struggling to walk, and as the day goes by at work I can feel the pain and hardly to go on. Most of the time were on our feet at work .I have more than 14,000 steps on my shift based on my pedometer. :-(

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It could be plantar fasciitis. I found exercises 1, 2, & 3 very helpfull.

1. Wall stretches

Place both of your hands on a wall at shoulder height with one of your feet in front of the other. The front foot should be 30cm (12 inches) away from the wall. With your front knee bent and your back knee straight, lean towards the wall until you feel a tightening in the calf muscles in your back leg. Then relax. Repeat this procedure 10 times, then switch legs and repeat the cycle. It is recommended that you carry out wall stretches twice a day.

2 Dynamic stretches

While seated, roll the arch of your foot (the curved bottom part of the foot between your toes and your heel) over a round object, such as a rolling pin, tennis ball or drink can (I freeze a small round bottle of mineral water, wrap it with a small cloth – this has the added benefit of helping to relieve pain). Move your foot and ankle in all directions over the object. Continue the exercise for several minutes and repeat the exercise twice a day.

3. Towel stretches

Keep a long towel beside your bed. Before you get out of bed in the morning, loop the towel around your foot and use the towel to pull your toes towards your body while keeping your knees straight. Repeat three times for each of your feet.

4. Stair stretches

Stand on your stairs facing upstairs while using your banister for support. Your feet should be slightly apart and your heels should be hanging off the back of the stair. Lower your heels until you feel a tightening in your calves. Hold this position for around 40 seconds, then raise your heels back to normal. Repeat this procedure six times, at least twice a day.

5. Chair stretches

Sit on a chair with your knees bent at right angles so that your feet are pointing in opposite directions. Lift the affected foot upwards while keeping the heel on the floor. You should then feel your calf muscles and Achilles tendon (band of tissue that connects the heel bone to the calf muscle) tighten. Hold this position for several seconds, then relax. Repeat this procedure 10 times, five or six times a day.

• Posted

Many thanks for your effort sending those couples of exercises that needs to do, I'll relegiously follow it and passed it to my work colleague too. Once again thanks a lot.
  • Posted

I hope it works for you as it did for me. Avoid high heels like the plague! Best
  • Posted

Hi,it does help and I try not to do much walking at moment,and hoping it'll gonna be fine soon.
  • Posted

I'm glad you are improving, keep up the good work, even when you get better those exercises are great. You might find useful the following:

Footwear

Do not walk barefoot on hard surfaces. Choose shoes with cushioned heels and a good arch support. A laced sports shoe rather than open sandals is probably best. Avoid old or worn shoes that may not give a good cushion to your heel.

Heel pads and arch supports

You can buy various pads and shoe inserts to cushion the heel and support the arch of your foot. These work best if you put them in your shoes at all times. The aim is to raise your heel by about 1 cm. If your heel is tender, cut a small hole in the heel pad at the site of the tender spot. This means that the tender part of your heel will not touch anything inside your shoe. Place the inserts/pads in both shoes, even if you only have pain in one foot.

• Posted

wow thank you,i'll do that...can I asked you this please,you think it's worth to purchase a TENS machine for me,for I had a pain at the back of my knees,I have tried it as stafff physio let me borrowed it for ten days,it help me cope with the pain. Do you think it's worth it, I try to think twice for this is a bit expensive for me. Hope it's not much for you to ask about this. Thanks a lot again RO.
  • Posted

I have a TENS machine which I had for years and found it very good for my lower back. For the back of your knee I don't know, better to ask your doctor. Knees are complicated things, I sincerely hope you have not got rheumathoid arthritis, I've got it and is very painful, please check with your doctor.
  • Posted

Hi Ro, I was diagnosed by the doctor of mild osteoarthritis.(sigh) :-(

My physio asked me to be off from work even for a week to wait to make it better, while she's doing her best to help me ease the pain.

• Posted

Hello. I have found that wearing my Fit Flops really really helps and can now stand all day. Who would have thought this could be so painful as to bring tears to the eyes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.