I have a question

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello everyone. 

My surgeon just called to discuss a problem I had over the weekend. During the

discussion, I mentioned my knee only bends to approx 80 degrees after 3 weeks.

His response was thats not good, that it has to get to 120.

He says that if I don't get it to at least 100 by the end of the week that he wants to see me to address it. 

Now this basically has me pretty freaked out. I have struggled to get this knee to bend to 80 so far. Is it even reasonable to get it to jump to 100 in 4 days?

If I don't get it there, anyone have any idea what procedure they might use to get it there and has anyone been through this?

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your surgeon seems a bit impatient, especially as you're only three weeks! I wouldn't worry as my bend only reached 90' at 6 weeks and my surgeon was happy! I then had more physio and got to just over 100' at 8 weeks and now at 10wks 5 days I'm 115'

I suppose they all have different expectations but I think your surgeon should back off!

• Posted

That makes NO sense to me. If you are doing your physio and recovering you are on the right track. The goal here in Canada is 90 degrees at 6 weeks unless there are extenuating circumstances like hardware removal and/or multiple surgeries on the joint. Relax. Your physiotherapist will give you more valuable feedback. In my experience surgeons know surgery, not physio.
  • Posted

I would entirely agree with you folks. I'm doing the exercises 3X per day and push them eac time. There is also most definite progress thats why I was so surprised at his comment. I'm in good old Ontario and the last time I saw my phsio person, they said their goal was 90 in 6 weeks which I do belive is reasonable. Im not sure what he has in mind but he sure has me worried. Guess I'll find out soon. Oh boy!

• Posted

Hi Peter 

I am 4 weeks out today and at rehab yesterday the physio measured me at 93 degrees and was quite happy with that. He said in another 2 weeks with 2 hours rehab 3 x a week I should be at 110 and anything over that is a bonus. I think i would agree with some other comments that i would listen more to your physio than the surgeon.

I am sure you will get there !

Cheers, Paul

• Posted

Sometimes we have to humour our surgeon.... ha! My surgeon gave me some physio advice after 2 weeks. It was an exercise that I could do after 6 weeks with my first TKR and I just laughed and told him it was NOT going to happen. He and I have 15 years of history though and he just laughed and turned to his med student and reminded him to listen to his patient as we are living the experience and can teach them things. 
    • Posted

Hi Tim, I'm out 3 weeks today Im at 82. Last week I was 70 so Even though it doesnt bend ideally, I figured I was progressing well compared to last week.

tomorrow I see the physio again and I'll talk to them and see what they say about his comment, which I believe is totally unreasonable. Thanks for the encouragement words and positive outlook

• Posted

Thank you also MCanada. Like the part about humouring our surgeon.

made me smile. Think Iv'e calmed down a bit now.

thank you all!

• Posted

Some surgeons really push while others prefer the gentle approach, and their patients achieve just as much in the long run as those who constantly have the whip cracked over them.  I am five weeks today, and have a 115 bend and 0 straight, which is great.  Well, Old misery guts can't make me better than the 0, but he is not happy with the 115 and says I have a lot of muscle building to do and I must improve the bend.  Felt like saying I have no plans to start a career as an contortionest and I am happy as I am.  He has also said he doesn't want to see me limping again.  One thing for sure, none of thes bone doctors have any experience of being on the patient side of this surgery!  I am sure that if you have 80degrees at three weeks you will be well over 100 by six, so I wouldn't worry.  Do you have a leg lifter, if so use it with your exercises, they realy work and that is how I achieved my good bend and straightening. Without it, I would still be struggling.
    • Posted

Thank you Liz, pardon my stupidity but whats a leg lifter?
    • Posted

Ok, I see what they are and ues I do have one. I agree,

they work great!

• Posted

It fascinates me how there is no consistency of treatment progress. Today I saw my physio who was not over concerned about knee bend. His major concern was ensuring my leg had straight bend and lay flat. That will encourage better knee ROM whilst walking and in time this will aid bend. He  said sit on table and dangle legs which will bend with  gravity. I am doing this and he's right. He also wants me in hydrotherapy.when safe. What can I say.
  • Posted

Gotta love these docs that give all TKR patients the same RX. Your doc makes money on MUA on maipulation under sedation. Docs like to do this procedure, it moves the process along quite nicely for them. Flexion takes time after TKR, for some patients it takes up to a Year to reach final flexion. Don't let anyone push you. If you continue at it doing your exercises and stretching you will get there. Look up a Manual Functional Physical Therapist. Many time patients after a TKR have trigger points, bunched muscles and ligaments and nerves that can be addressed with manipulation that will then allow the knee to flex easier. Good luck, stay strong!
    • Posted

In UK all surgery in fact any medical treatment is free at the point of delivery, paid for through National Insurance & Tax. So in UK of ne financial benefit for docs
  • Posted

I wouldn't push / rush it. It's not bending for a reason and you may do damage. Go see your surgeon and see what he has to say. I'm slowly learning knees cannot be rushed xx
  • Posted

Hi Peter, my surgeon was threatening me with manipulation if my bend didn't improve. I told my physio who said that he was happy with my progress, I was 90 bend at 6 weeks. He said, don't forget, it's YOUR knee. If you aren't comfortable with anything he suggests, ask for a little more time.

Caz - 15 weeks post TKR Australia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.