I have been on anti depressants for 5 years

Posted , 2 users are following.

I started on on citrolpram that made things worse i attempted suicide about 4 times over doses, i was put on paroxetine and had been on them up until a few days ago been taking them for 5 years now been put on  mirtazapine one per night as i  tried to end my life again i have not been sleeping at all get serious night mares. Now i have dizzy head when standing is it normal for the doctor to change you from one to another drug without taking you of one by decrease of the doze.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Ross I am so sorry you are feeling so poorly.  I think you will find that many people here have been on two anti depressants at the same time.  I think it is normal to do what your doctor has done.  He wants continuity of medication.  What did the doctor say?  Has he given advice on what to do?
    • Posted

Hello Anne

I felt so low last thursday and attempted my own life was in hospital and saw doctors im awaiting  appointment to see a phsycatric for help then saw my own doctor who changed the medication to mirtz i know its only been 3 days but when you feel dizzy its awful as you can imagine.

• Posted

Hello Ross.  I have myself taken an overdose and been in a psychiatric hospital.  That low feeling is so awful, and I know exactly how you are feeling.  I have been there many times.  I have seen numerous psychiatrists and counsellors and been on a lot of different medications for many years. 

Yes I know that dizzy feeling.  It should pass once your body gets used to the new medication.  I do hope you get the help you need soon.  I will be thinking about you. 

• Posted

Hello Anne  

i had to go to hospital this morning i had bad palpatations  severe dizzy head. I had a ecg done and blood tests. It turns out im suffering withdrawal from the seroxat, my doctor has done a very stupid thing as i have been told he should have lowered my doze slowly. He has caused me to feel ill i have been given more seroxat from the hospital and also have to keep taking the miz drug also until it kicks in for the time being i have to suffer the dizzy ness due to my doctors mistake. I have made an appointment to see him wed he better count his blessings i dont make a complaint. I feel i should tell anyone dont ever come straight of a drug as you will suffer what i have.

• Posted

Ross I am so sorry.  yes you must always withdraw slowly from anti depressants.  I was on Seroxat once but had to stop it abruptly because it gave me bad side effects, my arm would not stop jerking.  I was on holiday at the time and had to see a dcotor there.  I was given an injection to stop the jerks and told to stop Seroxat at once.

It took me 10 months to withdraw from Effexor so I did not get any withdrawals.  I did it once cold turkey and the withdrawals really are severe with that anti depressant. 

Some doctors really are not helpful are they?  I think all of us here are very aware not to stop an anti depressant abruptly, but sometimes, because of side effects, we have no choice.  I had to stop Prozac immediately too as it gave me such awful side effects.

Let us hope you will be OK now Ross

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.