I have been on citalopram for the last 04 months. Anxiety striking again

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi everyone

I have been on citalopram 20mg for the last 04 months and now I am suffering from health anxiety and its really bad . I have a lot of pain in my left arm and lots of anxiety about all of my vital organs. keep on checking blood pressure and blood sugar. cant open my eyes and as I stand it brings a lot of diziness and shortness of breath. please help and reassurance required.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It totally sounds very much like anxiety, you are now worrying about the worry and have yourself in a pickle. Google the worry tree it may help and seek out a therapist if it continues. You refer yourself now in the UK to minds matter, Therapy works as well if not better for health anxiety than meds, pills are not a magic cure imo, its about re-training your thought process. Lets just say you have a major problem with an internal organ (which i highly doubt you do as you would have a whole host of symptoms) what is worrying going to do about it. Easier said than done but if your times up (which it isnt) then its up, we all die. My mother-in-law who is nearly 80 has had every test under the sun 5 times over and in the 20 years I have known her she has had nothing wrong with her bar a broken hip from a fall. She just cant except she is going to die one day or there is nothing wrong with her. Now, all that worry she spent literally thousands of hours doing and tests (at great expense to the NHS) have been an utter waste of everyones time including hers. My point is, if you could look back on your life in your last moments and do things differently id put my house on you not spending hours of every day worrying about nothing. You are born with 2 fears, heights and loud noises, everything else is self taught. Health anxiety is very, very common probably due to all the horror stories the media love to peddle. They never say how the vast majority, basically millions live a perfectly healthy and happy life until old age. The only thing worrying does is increase your blood pressure which ironically is bad for you. Forget about your arm, we all get aches and pains. If need be, keep a diary and how many hours you spent each day worrying and the reason. That ache will clear up and you can count back all those wasted hours, the trouble is you will just move onto another problem that doesnt exist, it a vicious circle. I've had a sore throat for weeks, i smoke, it could be throat cancer but i highly doubt it, whether i worry about it or not it will either clear up Ill be having chemo or ill die. Worrying wont change the outcome and i refuse to spend anymore of my precious time on it like i used to. You need to break that cycle, hence therapy along with meds. Sometimes we just need a little tough love. Obviously we have never met but I'd say there is a 99.999999% chance you have nothing to, if you did worrying wont fix it or the doc would send us all home and simply tell us to worry it away. Its a waste of time. Good luck

• Posted

Its awful, i suffered with it for a few years, brought on by a rare hereditary auto immune illness that brought on various ailments. They thought i was a hypochondriac until i finally got diagnosed after nearly 2 years of suffering. I then thought every ache or pain was something else on the list. I was unlucky thats all, now i ignore everything, until a medical problem is having a severe impact (not an imagined one) i wont be going to the doctors or spending anytime worrying about it. The flip side to running off to the doctors every half an hour is they don't believe you, google has everyone thinking the worst and filling up the GP's surgery more than the common cold. A friend of a friend who works at the hospital had back pain and was convinced it had spread to her stomach. The symptoms most likely imagined after the google effect. Her GP decided on a ultra sound after her fourth visit. She convinced herself she had pancreatic cancer which is a death sentence. Long story but she didn't eat for 2 weeks, didn't sleep, was looking at writing a will, the full works. She cried for 2 days with relief after they told there was nothing wrong. She looked a mental wreck over a muscle strain, its madness.

• Posted

wow . something similar happen to me with a muscle strain in my chest.i thought i was having heart attack then i thought i had cancer wow the list is long .the anxiety brought on so many so call ailments that i was convinced i was going to croak.after all the test two emergency brain scan chest scans blood work.it was nothing but anxiety brought on by a muscle strain in my chest go figure.

• Posted

wow . something similar happen to me with a muscle strain in my chest.i thought i was having heart attack then i thought i had cancer wow the list is long .the anxiety brought on so many so call ailments that i was convinced i was going to croak.after all the test two emergency brain scan chest scans blood work.it was nothing but anxiety brought on by a muscle strain in my chest go figure.

• Posted

Hi Talha,if you don't let the medication work ,and start to worry instead ,then you will get more anxious and the more anxious you get ,the more the medication will take to work and you will just get yourself into a vicious circle,so my suggestion is don't get your self into a state where you will get more anxious and try to relax and maybe try some breathing exercises and try to relax,maybe try yoga ,read a book,anything to take your mind off it.You say you also check your bp and blood sugar levels.Are you diabetic and if not by checking bp and blood sugar ,do you understand those levels,if not that can also raise your anxiety levels

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.