I have been on Citalopram for two weeks and feeling the same

Posted , 5 users are following.

I will start from the beginning...About 10 years ago I started taking citalopram 20mg and after 4 years I stopped taking them and had a relapse after 1 year and had to start taking them again. It was all fine. Last March I tried to stop them again, but this month I had a relapse (after 5 months). My doctor told me to take 10mg for the 1st 6 days and then continue with 20mg. Now I have been taking them for 2 weeks and I am feeling the same...heart palpitations and dizziness and I cannot walk straight since I am shaky. I am afraid of going out except for work since it's obligatory!! For the first few days I had insomnia...I woke up at 3am and could not sleep again. He gave me also flaunxol 1mg to ease anxiety until citalopram starts working...but it's useless. I am afraid that they will not work and remain with anxiety!! 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It won't kick in for a while yet. It's usually somewhere between 3 and 6 weeks. Hopefully your mood will improve soon. I know it is hard while you are waiting. If you are struggling too much while waiting it might be worth speaking to your doctor again to see if there's anything else they can do to help? Xxxx

• Posted

my mood is ok. I am still feeling dizzy sometimes. I am thinking that it could be due blocked ears and pain in my forehead. Could it be or am I imagining?
  • Posted

The newer version of citalopram is lexapro , which has less side effects. I am currently been switched from Pristiq to Lexapro (escitalopram) and it works great on me. Give some time to yourself too ! 
  • Posted

I know how you feel being dizzy and shakey makes everything so much harder. 2 weeks is still early days they worked for you before so I'm sure they will work again you just have to give it time to build up in your system.

• Posted

hope so....Now I also have my ears blocked and my forehead is hurting. I am thinking that the dizziness is due to sinus or allergy. Could it be? 
  • Posted

Hi damay, the more i read about antidepressants the more determined I become not to take them. Is there any way you can manage without them? Why do you have to have them? Doctors think they're adult sweets and will hand them out as such. Go back and say you are really sick of the side effects. My doctor offered me them once she's never tried again. I have told her to deal with my physical health only. Good luck, I hope you get things sorted.

• Posted

I had to since I couldn't cope without them.....if they will work well!! But I am feeling better except for the dizziness and I am thinking it's coming from somewhere else like sinus or allergy since I have blocked ears!!

• Posted

I have reached the end of my tether re infections I have trapped facial nerves so I am seeing a doctor on Monday, I think antidepressants are given out like smarties, I absolutely refuse to take them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.