I have been on Citalopram now for 19 days. You can see s...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have been on Citalopram now for 19 days. You can see some of my comments below. For the first couple of weeks the worst side effects were an awful insomnia and an increased level of anxiety (but not so much panic attacks). I saw my GP for the first review after a couple of weeks and advised that I was not feeling better. He said that the side effects were not so bad and I should give time as the medication will start to show its positive effects after 2-3 weeks. I think he is right as now I am sleeping very well, I feel more confident and much less anxious ( and no panic attacks at all!). Keep the fingers crossed; it seems that the medication might work for me as I wish to work for everybody in this forum.

Best wishes and good heath!

[i:e91982bae5]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e91982bae5]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am really pleased that you stuck with the tablets over the 2-3 wk period cos I think unless your told explicitly that your likely to feel worse before the tabs start kicking in & it's not going to be within a few days it's really easy to give up as the side effects while not severe (That is how my doc describes them as) do have a dramatic effect on the mind and physical body,I also think most people are trying to manage this whilst trying to carry on as normal,Working,childcare etc and lets face it your already in a compromised state before you even strart the things.Best of luck XX

[i:23a692be0a]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:23a692be0a]

• Posted

Dear Lynne,

Thank you for the encouraging words above. Yesterday I went out for the first time after quite a long period (I drove to Cambridge - about half and hour from where I live). I must say that I felt quite anxious all the time. My thoughts all day long were to return home where I feel safe. This not very encouraging as I have to go back to work in a week (demanding and a job with a lot of pressure)...

Best regards,

Catalin smile

[i:b2faf07bad]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b2faf07bad]

• Posted

Hi Catalin,You have to start building on this as a start to getting your life back on track cos it really is but there are no quick fixes with what you're going through.Going back to work so soon does not sound good as I think very quickly you will get completely overwhelmed & bad again.I had 6 months off this time last year went back in Jan 06 (fortunately I get 6 months full pay 6 months half)but panicked thinkin we couldn't manage financially on half pay.I completed 6 months back but in the last month all the horrendous feelings of anxiety/panic started again.With husband/family/friend support I self referred back to occupational health knowing I should go off again.Well 2wks on I can now accept I can no longer continue doing the work I did but thats ok.My thinkin processes are back and havin deferred paying mortgage for a couple of months in agreement with bank It has given me time/space to re-evaluate what is important in my life.I'M IMPORTANT & my family/friends the rest I can deal with as and when.I've just completed my 3rd job application as I tend to trawl for jobs am then rest or relax pm.I know now after many,many years of yoyoing with depression I'm finally winning You will to if you go with your own gut feelings.(I did have cognitive behaviour therapy which enabled me to work through a lot of issues)extremely hard & painful but did me good.A book that I found extremely readable was counciling for toads based on wind in the willows can't remember author not heavy in any sense but I gained alot from it.Best Wishes Lynne

[i:d8b1f02380]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d8b1f02380]

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with Postnatal Depression and have got a pkt of Citalopram in front of me ready to take................all the side effects worry me and I already have insomnia from my 4 month old baby!!!........should I really go ahead and take them?:?

[i:bd10f90648]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:bd10f90648]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.