I have been on Esmya for 3 months to shrink my 2 large fibroids.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have not yet had my pre-op as the hospital seem to be slack, I wondered how long after taking esmya do the fibroids start to grow back? If they do? How long after finishing the 3 months course did people have to wait for there op? My period stopped while taking them, will it start again and will it be as heavy as before? My op is just to remove the 2 large fibroids that i have, as i would like to have another child. I am 42, so with time not on my side, you can see why I am getting impatient with the hospital! Hope someone can answer my questions!? Bluebell12

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I took Esmya for 3 months, then was off it for two and am now on it for another 3 months.  When I went off it, I had no period that first month, but then it came back and was just as heavy as before.  I live in Spain, so they usually call you sometime during the 3 month period to operate (they called me before Christmas but I couldn´t do it then).  I think the heaviness of your period is probably related to the size of the myomas, but I´m not sure.  If they are smaller due to Esmya, then you should bleed less, but this is not something I know for a fact.  I do know that they are only authorized to let you take Esmya for a total of 6 months and usually it is a pre-op pill, so they should call you sometime within that time for your operation.  I hope that helps! 
  • Posted

Hi, i have just ended my 3 month course of Esmya. My stomach seems to be less bloated so hoping it has worked on my largest fib that was 11cm. I have had my pre op clinic and was told that they do not bother with a scan to see if it has worked, they just assume it has and then do the myomectomy. I to have had no peroids for 3 months. My myomectomy will take place in a 1 months time, so did not have to wait long since ending the Esyma. With the NHS, its always hard to know how long the wait will be, i saw consultant in Nov, then pre op clinic in Jan, then op date in March.
    • Posted

Many thanks, that it as huge help as I started esmya begin of dec, I have contacted the nhs hospital every week for the last 3 weeks to find out when my pre-op will be, but they never call me back! It was only when I went in in person that they actually told me that the referal was in the process, it seems that your hospital are more on the ball than mine, but now I know they have done that for you, I can use it to get some answers.  Just getting a bit fed up with putting my/and my toddlers life on hold! Can't book theatre trips or comit to volentary work that I do, just incase the op is then!

How much notice did they give you for the pre-op and then op?

Many thanks

Bluebell12

• Posted

Hi Bluebell, I know how you feel and I took time off "from life" in Feb as i thught my op date would be sooner, but March is not to bad. I was lucky as my gp put me on some kind of urgent pathway to get my 1st consulation, once you have the first consultation, you will be well on your way. On my first consulatation, I got the 3 month prescription for Esmya and put me down for the op. The pre op clinic came through a month later, but I was away so had to change the date, so then had it in Jan, with op date in March. I suppose each nhs trust works differently, but as you have had Esyma for 3 month, you can only have one more 3  month course of it. When i asked can i get 1 more month supply , to take me up to op date they said no, as it would not have any benefit. 

Pre op clinic just take blood pressure, blood test and stuff so in theory this could be done just a wek before the op. how did you get the Esmya , from hopsital ? if so you are in the process, but know the feling of not being able do anything as you just don't know, i stopped working in Feb, as i thought the op would be as soon as i eneded the esmya, but i guess if the esmya has worked, it has worked and a month later will not make any difference.

how big are your fibs ? have you noticed any difference, do you think Esyma has worked. I can still feel mine but think they may be slightly smaller.

• Posted

Hello, I'm in the U.S. and medical insurance is different here. I have 3 fibroids size of a goof a golf ball each. My gynecologist prescribed me the NUVA ring to control the massive bleeding and it only worked for a month and then I went back to bleeding really heavy with blood clots again and changing my tampons + pads every hour. She then prescribed me Provera which it reduced a bit my bleeding but the goal was to make it stop before my Hawaii trip this coming March; since it didn't work then she prescribed me another form of birth control and for me to take 3 pills a day and then 2 each day; finally after a week my bleeding stopped, now today, Im spotting again.. My myosectomy its schedule for 3/26 .. This has been the worst time of my life and I'm looking forward being / feeling normal again..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.