I have been on fluoxetine for 6 months and I am getting anxiety again

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on fluoxetine for 6 month and was determined to get through all the side effects, anxiety, depression, cold sweats, loss of appetite, bowl problems, not able to get out of the house and with a lot of determination it all eventually passed and life got better, not 100% better but functioning again, with the help of a bit of counciling. On Friday I started to feel anxious again and now I am back to the point of waking each day with anxiety and bowel / bladder frequency. So disappointed thought I was through all of that and it's taking hours for this to pass and my day start..... Need some advice is this normal so far down the road.......

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Hey Paul,

I have been having the same issue the past week and I am on 40mg. I called my Doctor and he said to hang in there for another few weeks to see if the anxiety shifts itself. He explained to me that just because I am on medication does not mean everything in life is always going to be smooth and there will be up's and downs still which I need to push through like anyone does.  He also told me to get outside and exercise which is great for anxiety. I have been walking on the beach everyday and it has helped so much! 

• Posted

Thankyou, you just need to hear it form someone else that is in the same situation.....
  • Edited

Recovery is always 3 steps forward and 2 steps back ..... and yes, can happen at this stage.  My son was on these and it took him 9 months to recover (I was on Citalopram - another type of SSRI which took me 6 months).

Sometimes during recovery you might find some eventful situation will bring you back down again.  Has something happened of late?

Whatever it is, I'd say it is normal.  You can get a big setback months after you think you've recovered, but it won't always be like that.

Anxiety is usually being anxious about being anxious.  All other symptoms are part of anxiety, and once anxiety eases so will the others.  Just accept you're having this setback, let it be there, don't try and analyse every symptom, don't try and get rid of it, just treat it as just another setback.  Relax towards it / let go of tension (anxiety thrives on tension), carry on in life as normal as can be and it should pass.

Treat it as part of recovery still - it will pass.  Even though I recovered after 6 months I'd still get the odd time when I went backwards, but as more time passed this got less.

Hope that helps.

K x

• Posted

Thankyou, makes sense and I probably would say that to someone else but when it comes to yourself it's a different matter. It will pass just not pleasant waking up with it...........

• Posted

Yes absolutely - easy for someone else to say but for the sufferer it feels impossible. When I had good days I'd feel on top of it and told myself yes I can do this, and on the bad days I was back to self doubt and couldn't see a way out. Anxiety brings on anxious thinking.

Agree with lookingonwards - exercise is so helpful as anxiety needs an outlet.

K xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.