I have been on Lofepramine for a year and it has worked ...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on Lofepramine for a year and it has worked very well in reducing and treating the depression I have had for many years.

I have tried other antidepressants in the past which made me tired, irritable and badly effected my sleep patterns and appetite (which caused me to put on weight).

Lofepramine however has enabled me to return to normal sleeping patterns (I no-longer wake up tired and fatigued), a normal appetite and less-frequent bouts of depression.I sometimes get thirsty more easily and seem to want drink more water but apart from that changing to lofepramine has meant I am no longer as depressed as I was and am enjoying a normal life.

[i:be3fbea62b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:be3fbea62b]

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi all,

I been suffering terrible anxiety and irretability, wouldn't say I generally feel depressed. I've been prescribed lofepramine tabs 70mg to be taken at nightime, after surfing the net it has become apparent that they are prescribed more for depression rather than anxiety, that's one of my concerns, also I struggle with eating disorders, also from my research they seem to give u weight gain, which I really could not cope with.....help

:headhurts:

[i:f875e7540e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f875e7540e]

• Posted

ive been spending hours on end trying to research lofepramine..there are a lot of clinical trials and articles with lots of medical jargon but its almost impossible to find much of peoples own experiences..

from what ive gathered tho, most people have said they didnt notice weight gain with lofepramine..

on the other hand, ive seen \"changes in bloody sugar and possible weight gain\" on quite a few sites..so not quite sure wat to make of it..

if it helps tho, the psychiatrist i saw wanted to put me on another anti depressant but i told him i absolutely refused to take anything that would make me gain weight, so he changed it to lofepramine instead..which im hoping means that (as long as u dont sit around and do nothing but eat all day, which u might do without even realising when feeling depressed) it doesnt cause weight gain..

ive been on it a month so far and if anything ive been a lot less hungry..havent noticed any changes in weight tho, neither loss or gain..

• Posted

I've been on Lofepramine for 14yrs and it has helped my deppression. I was 15st when I started taking it. My weight gain from the other medications I was on cause me to rapidly gain weight. This effected me mentally and I was prescribed this drug. Two days after taking it I noticed a change in my appetite. Within 2yrs I was down to 8st 2. It felt great and I never ever want to go back to that weight again. Since 2006 I noticed that my appetite as increased slightly and I started to put on weight. I'm now 10st 7ish and I do go to the gym but I'm really worried that the drug is no longer working and that I will go back to my old weight and become I'll again. I could not cope with It again and this time it would put me over the edge. I've also noticed that in the last 3-4 years my sleep pattern had changed. I'm not sleeping at night not wanting to go to bed. When I do go to bed I am tired in the mornings and sometimes my body will crash and I will sleep all day especially weekends even though I don't feel tired. I've been hear before when I wad not well. Is thirs natural or am I becoming
  • Posted

I'll again
  • Posted

I'll again
  • Posted

I'll again
  • Posted

lofepramine like other tricyclics and anti-depressants in general cause sedation, slow cognitive function and stimulate appetite, particularly a craving for carbohydrates which are then converted to sugars hence the weight gain. (raised blood sugars cause increased insulin production and insulin tells your body to store fat.) Also an extra 500 calories a day means about a 2lb weight gain weekly. i gained 14lbs in a month on a now discontinued tricyclic at 75mg a day. i lost the weight in a similar period when i stopped the drug. all the anti depressants do is manipulate one neurotransmitter, such as serotonin, dopamine etc at the expence of throwing the rest of your brain chemistry out of balance. This causes permanent neurological damage over time. At the same time the anti-depressants/anti anxiety drugs supress your frontal lobe. This is the part of your brain which is effected by alcohol. Basically the drugs don't cure depression at its route cause, they simply maintain your mood by suppressing emotion, and preventing you from experiencing emotional highs and lows. They don't fix the issues causing your low mood, they don't change anything except how much you care or don't care by supressing your brain function and emotions. 150 years ago it would have been an ice-pic to the temple. exercise, healthy diet and ability to avoid and cope with stress is your best approach to treating depression.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.