I have been on Remeron for 1 week now and am already noticing increased hunger, what should I do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 21 years old, I have been on several medications for my anxiety over time, and I was just switched from Prozac to Remeron this past week. I cannot take Prozac, Lexapro, or Celexa because they cause me sexual side effects. My psychiatrist recommended Remeron to avoid them. 

I am a week in taking the Remeron and am already noticing an increase in hunger.

My psychiatrist had suggested I take Buspar and a low dose of Prozac if the Remeron does not work or I cannot handle the side effects.

Should I keep trying the Remeron despite the hunger or just go with the Buspar at this point? I am having a very hard time mentally and am running out of patience to feel better...

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hunger is normal with mirtazapine and most people can put on stones of weight be careful what you eat

I’m seven weeks off this drug it is the most awful drug to get off the withdrawals are brutal if you can switch to something else I would

• Posted

Hi Caroline, just wondering how your going now since you've been off Mirtazapine for few wks ?? I'm still on 30mg Mirtazapine down from 60mg afew months ago.. I've also nearly 10wks off of Zyprexa. I'm still going thru Withdrawals from Zyprexa but im not sure if any of my Withdrawal Symptoms are from the reduction from the Mirtazapine aswell. Could you tell me what Withdrawal Symptoms did you hav from Mirtazapine ?? Take care an best wishes for the future

• Posted

I’m ok im in windows and waves stage now which means when I’m having acrinfiw im feeling good little anxiety and able to function but the waves are hell and hard
  • Posted

I'm the opposite.  I have taken prozac for many years without too many issues, sexual or otherwise.  I recently added on Mirtazapine and had a horrible experience.  Prozac is tame (depending on the dose) compared with Remeron.  Hunger is the least of your worries.  Let us know how you do in a few weeks on Remeron.  Stuff made me nauseous and totally unproductive (among other things).  Not worth it.

• Posted

Try not to worry about your weight....your mental well-being is more important

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.