I have been suffering with depression for 5 years

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have recently had a severe bout of depression brought on by my wifes decision to end our 12year marriage.I have what i believe come out of it and on the path to recovery. All I can say to other sufferers try and be positive and keep up with the medication. I only realised how long my depression was going on for the other day and during all that time i thought I was no use to any one. Today I finished with my counselling and will need more if the NHS will help. I am a lucky person as i have had alot of support, trouble is with my depression i did not trust people thought everything was a conspiracy and it felt so real. I am through that now and hope to rebuild my life again with the help of my family and friends.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You have undoubtedly gone through a difficult time, and it will be greatly reassuring to others to hear that you have pulled out of it with professional help and sheer determination.

You are indeed a very lucky person and a vey sensible one, and I for one would like to congratulate you for finding the personal strength to have got yourself fixed.

Well done.

• Posted

Hi, it's good to see you are getting better and through the worst.  It's good to have counselling, someone to talk things through with, I hope you get to carry this on. Thanks for your advice to stay positive.  I wish you well as you continue to rebuild your life.
  • Posted

Hello Phil,  I am sorry your marriage ended what a shock it must of been for you. Well done for getting help and support through counselling and family and friends. It's good to hear that you are being positive and on the road to recovery. Hopefully others will read this and know it's possible to come out the other side. Unfortunately some people including myself have no family support and friends don't understand. I have had counselling in the past and it really helped me also had group therapy. 

I wish you continued success in your recovery.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

You have just made my day Phil. Thank you so much for sharing your story.

I feel like I'm coming out the other side now. Still on meds & still awaiting councelling. Hopefully this will deal with the underlying issues and I can be as brave and strong as you.

x

• Posted

You will be strong and there will be an end Just start believing in yourself. People are there to help and try to see what causes the Depression and nip it in the Bud before it takes hold. I know what causes my bouts and will see it coming. I have just started understanding what causes mine and how I will deal with it. My plan is to write down what my mind was telling me, hopefully to make other people understand. You are as brave as me as you have come to this site which is a step in the right direction to recovery.
    • Posted

Thank you so much Phil. You truly are an inspiration.

xoxoxo

• Posted

Good for you Phil! I'm starting counselling this week so it's reassuring to hear positive things.

Thank you and good luck for your future 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.