i have been taking 20 mg of citalopram for 9 weeks now, ...

Posted , 1 user is following.

i have been taking 20 mg of citalopram for 9 weeks now, my every day symptoms of depression seem to have lifted, although still not to keen on going out especially crowded places, feel like everyone staring at me and that they know i am taking anti depressants. i have made a decision that was my current sick note runs out on jan 5 i am going to return to work and i am just wondering if any one has any advice as al ready the thought of it makes my heart pound and i sweat profusley. i had a minor car accident at the beginning of september and that is when the depression hit and it took me a while to ask for help but i am so glad i did.i am 33 married with 2 children and thought it would never happen to me but it has and for the first time in weeks i feel like i am dealing with it, so if anyone can offer me any advice how to get over the fear of returning to work i would appreciate. the irony is i am a gp's receptionist but have a fear that they wont understand.

[i:646fe86a6f]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:646fe86a6f]

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

I've been taking citalpram for 5 weeks now, I only had a week off work as my doctor said the worst thing I could do was to avoid work as he wanted me to carry on with my life - it was difficult going back to work even after a week so I do sympathise but it was the best thing I could have done as after 2 weeks back at work I was fine at work (although not in crowded places other than work but thats getting better now also). My advice would be to look forward to going back to work, get your first week back at work out of the way as soon as possible because the more you do things the easier they get. Going back to work is getting your life back to normal and the sooner we all do that the better. Look forward to Christmas and relax.

Good luck!!

[i:2720f0c695]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2720f0c695]

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi,

Im on citalopram, 20mgs and have been for almost two months. I find that the anxiety lifts from time to time, like two steps forward one back, but not sure if im making the progress id like. Did you find that the jump to 40 helped? and how long before you started to feel on an even keel? I am also having counciling, and although i have complete faith in my recovery id just like it to happen a little quicker than it seems to be. Any tips??? And good luck coming off!! I admire your confidence, and cant wait to be in your position!!!

[i:a21f2547ce]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:a21f2547ce]

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I've been taking Citalopram for about 10 weeks now. It took about 6 weeks for it to start making me feel better. I was unable to face work, partly because I my shifts are extremely long [at weekends I do 17 hour days] but also because the job itself is demanding and responsible, I did not feel I could practice safely while I was feeling so low and anxious.

Luckily, my boss and colleagues are extremely understanding about my depression, I have had episodes throughout my time in my present job. I was off work for 7 weeks and went back just before christmas, as we break for 2 weeks and I did not want to worry about work over the hols.

I work at a school and everyone was really pleased to have me back; some of the teachers came to see me to tell me how pleased they were that I was well enough to work, and all my students were amazingly supportive. I have always been open about my problem and they all know I suffer with depression. It was embarrassing when I first told them but their support has been invaluable to me.

If you do decide to tell your colleagues you may find that they will be very supportive and understanding. It does help me to be able to tell the truth about why I am having a bad day or finding it hard to cope.

I do want to wish you all the best in whatever you chose to do.

[i:d311b3efc6]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d311b3efc6]

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have tried a variety of anti-depressants but many have lots of side effects, and I have just changed to Citalopram but am only on 10mg to try and control my panic attacks. I too am 33 with 2 small boys and was involved in a car-jacking incident with my 5 year old where I was dragged from the car at gun point. What you have to do is try and see the positive in things that happen, easy to say I know, but if you try and focus on the positive, rather than the neagtive it does help. Going back to work will do you the world of good, it will give you a focus and will stop you thinking too much about how you feel. I spent months trying to ignore the fact I was having an increasing number of panic attacks and was slipping deeper and deeper into depression, but I started to have counciling and it has helped me so much, I can now open up and tell someone when I feel bad. It will gt better honestly, I have found the strength to put my dreams into practice and have gone back to Uni this year, so in 3 years time I will become a Teacher.

Positive Mental Attitude - honestly it does help. Embrace change, but always remember you have two kids who love you and want you to be happy:ok:

[i:48208b1007]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:48208b1007]

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up