I have been taking fluoxetine for 4 years now, a result ...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have been taking fluoxetine for 4 years now, a result of many years of depression and subsequent divorce. I would just like to say that this drug has worked miracles for me, got me through a very difficult time, and should I have to take it for the rest of my life I will do so, it truly has helped turn my life around. I recommned it to anyone who needs it - it took my doctor a few months to persuade me to take it, but I'm glad I took that step and would do it all over again !!

[i:76e81baedb]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:76e81baedb]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have just been prescribed Fluoxetine by my GP, after finally plucking up enough courage to go to him for nearly a year. I too suffer from depression and feel it is getting much worse. I have days when I feel "ok", and then other days when I am beside myself with anxiety and feel so worthless and want to end it all. My GP says that the depression is caused by an inbalance in the brain and these tablets will help, but I am somewhat nervous to take tablets that you could become addicted to and ones which may make my panic attacks worse. The GP has put me on a waiting list to see a Counsellor, but that is going to take ages. I really dont know what to do, I am scared by the fact that the tablets may make me feel like a "zombie", as I have a job, and family to look after. Please someone give me some reassurance!

[i:112e3c5b60]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:112e3c5b60]

• Posted

This has helped me make up my mind about taking this product.

Thank you

[i:c681475ed3]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:c681475ed3]

• Posted

how long do they take till your mood starts lifting. ive been on them for a week

[i:c06689b038]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:c06689b038]

• Posted

I have been on prozac for over 2 months now and have found things to be coming right after 6 weeks of feeling very out of it. I was at a low dose , 10 mgs for the first 4 weeks , and then moved up to 20 mgs. I am still experiencing a little anxiety but generally i am feeling much clearer mentally and less hectic than before. I have consulted my doc and she still wants me to wait another 2 weeks before we decide if this is the right drug for me.

I suggest you wait until 6-8 full weeks before deciding if this drug is right for you. I had many days where i wanted to throw away my prescription but I didnt. Maybe i am a bit wiser as i was on ad's 2 years ago and never tolerated anything. Thinking back i was very anxious about taking drugs and sub consiously never gave them a fair chance. In my opinion you have to be open to medication in order to give it a fair chance as all of the medications i have taken (zoloft, effexor, prozac, wellbuterin, elavil, cipramil) had bad start up effects that usually went away only after months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.