I have been taking Sertraline 200mg and have been stopped cold turkey by my GP

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on Sertraline 200mg for over a year and my GP stopped my Sertraline on friday 28/07/2017 and moved me straight on to a new medication Trazadone 150mg but I am feeling light headed and dizzy as tho I am going to fall over all the time. What should I do? As I cannot carry on like this.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Go back to your doctor. I've never had them before but that sounds wrong.

• Posted

Hi mate,

Your GP stopping one med after such a long period & starting u on another straight away with no tapering is very strange. Can u give us any context - were u suffering side effects or was the first med just not working for u? Please do as u have been advised & go back to ur GP as soon as u can. Let us know how u get on! Take care

• Posted

The sertraline was changed due to my sleeping habits and was moved onto new medication for sedation
    • Posted

OK thanks. So the Sertraline was having a bad effect on your sleeping? Did u receive any benefit from it at all? Often with drugs we may continue with them as long as the benefits outweigh the side effects. I've stopped taking ADs in the past if the side effects became too much to cope with. Try not to worry too much. Just be honest with your GP. Are u seeing a psychiatrist or any other mental health professional at the moment. Take care.

• Posted

Strangely enough I work in mental health and the sertraline was working on my mental health. The sertraline wasn't stopping me sleeping it was my mental state.

• Posted

So it sounds as if the meds were helping your mental health & u needed something to help u sleep. I've read on this forum about various natural remedies & low dosage drugs that can aid sleep. Have u had the sleep problems for a long while? It might be worth looking at relaxation techniques to calm your mind at night rather than changing a drug which is helping in other ways. It's such a delicate balance! I've had problems with insomnia during my severe depression & I've found relaxing music helps me wind down. Good luck. Stay positive.

• Posted

Hi, I would go back to see your GP. These type of drugs should be tapered off slowly.

It's no wonder you are having these side effects. You could actually fall over, which, could be dangerous.

Make sure you have read the patient leaflets of both drugs as well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.