I have been told I have stress and anxiety by my doctor.

Posted , 5 users are following.

for the last couple of weeks I have been woken up by stong palpataions lasting several hours sometimes i then feel like my heart is missing a beat or I feel like a "thump" I have been feeling low for some months now i have symptons of chest and back pain despair and crying most days the palpatations happen mostly at night I have been to my doctor had bloods done ecgs (which came back normal)  and awaiting a holter monitor because I am convinced something is wrong does anyone else get like "a missing" of the heart beat.I also get stabbing pains in my left side and achess. I have completely gone off my food which is not normal for me as I am usually a comfort eater. I feel like im living on the edge and going mad some days i cant plan past the next day. can anyone help please.I am a 53 year old women 

0 likes, 16 replies

Report / Delete

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue

Sorry your feeling bad.

Have you been diagnosed with anxiety and are you taking any meds?confused

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

the doctors are saying its stress but looking at symptons it seems more anxiety symptons.I have had depression in the past with stress but I dont recall having the palpataions like I do Im frightened to go to sleep now as this is when they are more prominent and I have now been put on propanalol and citalipram again 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

People like us are more body consious. We notice every little ache and it makse sense you would feel them more at night as your laying there with no distractions. You've also subconsiously made bed time a trigger. In other words your expecting to have the symptoms, So you will. The Mind is very suseptable to your expectations. Once the propanalol gets in your system you should notice a difference fairly quickly, and the citalopram will take about 2 weeks to get to theruputic levels and is a well documented and researched drug and is easily tolerated by most people. Hope this help. There is nothing wrong with your heart. I'ts responding too your brain and it's sending signals that's activating your "fight and flight" response which will realease adrenaline which will make your heart faster hence the symptoms. If the Dr's aren't worried then give yourself a break propanalol is a beta blocker and designed to slow your heart rate.while citalopram will be working on your GABA receptors that will increase your levels of serotonin in your brain. I'm convinced this is all anxiety and a little trick i picked up is when you feel your heart wobble start reading something. anything, I used to go as far as reading back of shampoo bottles, really concentrate and say each word in your head. Tou'll feel better much quicker because it gives you brain something else to concentrate on. Your not alone it only feels that way sometimes. Hope this helps you let us know how you get on and feel free to contact me if you choose.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I feel so horrible at this moment in time and when you mentioned the eptopic heartbeat the colour drain from my body but I know that from past experience everything is worse tenfold but you cant help itI have been on the propanalol for4 days now I know the citalapram takes anything from two-four weeks. i had been feeling low for some months and very weepy but was coping .... just then al l of a sudden I started getting the palpitations last monday night and i am noticing the missing heart beat once to twice a day since last week where as I only got it maybe every couple of weeks always at night so I dont know whether thy have been exhascebated by the stress/anxiety and many thanks for your time its helping knowing im not going mad or there is something seriously wrong I will try the reading.at half one this morning I put on my meditation cd to try and help

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Do you have a therapist or a counsellor or someone who is trained to help?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Sue

​What your describing sounds like an ectopic heart beat which in 99% of the time is completely normal I have one, and before I knew what it was, it scared the hell out of me. I was convinced that there was something wrong with my heart. That missing beat is literally missing, or It's an extra heart  beat squeezed in there that and the palpations are most definately connected to your depression/ anxiety. Not to worry about everyone has them from time to time and they are completely harmless if you don't know what it is they can be super scary which makes you concentrate on your heart which in turn increases anxiety which in turn makes the palpatations feel stronger, it's a visious cycle. Are you on any antidepressants or anti axiety meds ???

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you craig the strange thing is that the word eptopic came into my head this morning what do they do for it? and ive just been put on propanalol and citalopram it is scary so much so Im meant to be going on holiday in just over two weeks and dont want to go as we are going to a different country Im scared being here never mind abroad. Also i seem to have them more at night.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

they prescribe beta blockers such as propanol they work by lessening the amout of adreniline release which will keep you heart on a more regular rhythm and along with the citalopram your anxiety levels will fall and the palpitations should abate all together, you may get an odd one from time to time, but if the Dr aren't worried about it after running all the tests that should give you confidence that your heart is fine, It's the "what if" cogs in your head, man once they get going it can be difficult to slow them down again, that's where the reading comes into play. Let me us know how your getting on smile
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Sue,

51 years old here, my anxiety started at 49.  Exact same symptoms.  You are not going mad, just having stress/anxiety.  It always seems to come worse at night, thats when we are at rest and our brains start to "over think" everything.  I do deep breathing, I chant to myself "it is my brain doing this to me, not my heart" If it gets too bad, I put frozen bag peas  on the back of my neck ( from the freezer) as this cuts off some of the signal my brain is sending to my heart/chest.  It is so frustrating!  And yes, my heart does POUND or miss a beat too, so damn scary.   Sounds like stress sad but definately ask your doc! good luck

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you christine I put on my meditation music to try and help I will try the frozen food when your heat is missing the beat is it worse for you when you are more anxious? Ive only been on this site since yesterday and people have been so helpful you know people suffer from anxiety but you dont realise just how it affects you or the others until they speak about it I hate being like this sad(
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up