I have been told that I should not take HRT!!!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all I have been to the doctors this week and was told that I am too higher risk of getting breast cancer if I take HRT because I am prone to cysts and have alot in my breasts atm. They have advised me to have the marina coil. Has anyone else had this and can u tell me if so more about it and any comments on the HRT issue also would be appreciated thanks guy's.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emma,

I am wondering if you have done research on the coil on line.  There are several good sites that can offer you unbiased information.

The coil seems a very popular choice in the UK for menopausal women.  I think because it keeps the lining of the uterus thin.  But personally, the mechanics worry me, especially having something foreign in one's body.

I know you'll make the right decision--what's best for you. xx

• Posted

Soooo I didn't think having cysts in your boobs actually means a higher risk of breast cancer?? Don't some women get relief from lumpy boobs on HRT? I'm not sure, just asking??

• Posted

Good question. I hope someone can shed some light on this. I would like to know too.
    • Posted

I've done a bit of research (just a bit). I think the concern is that having fibrocystic breasts can make it more difficult to spot breast lumps that might possibly be cancerous. But, there's no higher risk for breast cancer.

Some research has indicated a connection between over 10 years of being on HRT and breast cancer, while other researh has suggested that there are no links. So that's not definitive.  (No surprise there.) 

• Posted

Soooo what I don't get is....the doctors tell us if we dont have our uterus we can do oestrogen-only HRT, but if we  have our  uterus we need progesterone to protect our uterus lining. Well why isn't progesterone needed to protect our breasts as well if we are taking oestrogen? Aren't our boobs oestrogen sensitive form a cancer point of view?? Do you get me?

• Posted

Estrogen encourages the formation of tissue in the lining of your uterus, the endometrium. Too much tissue build up can contribute to cancer.  A monthly increase in progesterone causes the lining to be shed in your period.  

There are estrogen sensitive breast cancers.  But progesterone can't encourage the shedding of any tissue as it does in the uterus.

However, the actual process is more complex that one can imagine.  To add to that, HRT can be comprised of substances that are not completely natural.  Bio-identical hormones can also be used in HRT. While the loss of estrogen due to menopause has been "linked" by research to such things as a decrease in bone mass, other research has indicated that HRT doesn't provide as many benefits as some have thought.  Remember, this is a billion dollar business. 

I think that each woman owes it to herself to learn about the risks and benefits of HRT so she can decide for herself, instead of just taking the pills or mechanism offered to her without being aware of the possible consequences.  

Hope this has helped! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.